Mt Hunger via Waterbury Trail on 5/8/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 05/08/2011

Trail Conditions: Mt Hunger is one of most popular mountain in Worcester Range in Stowe/Waterbury in VT. Up to 29-3000 feet elevation, there was no snow. Most of the trail is dried except the area when brook in on top of the trail. After 29-3000 feet elevation, I observed considerable amount of snow on the trail. Some areas are VERY icy. So I decided to wear Microspikes. It helps a lot at both hike-in and hike-out. I led 8 hikers and 3 people didn't have any traction gear. 2 of them told me they should have listened to me before coming hiking. They said they'll go to EMS to buy some lightweight winter traction. ;) At the very close to the summit, trail gets sun shine, so there was no snow again. We had nice view from the summit and we took a picture with the background of Mt Mansfield.

Special Equipment Required: Microspikes is nice to have.

Comments: Mt Hunger is lower than 4K footer but the Waterbury Trail is pretty steep. Although it's only 2.2 miles to the summit, this hike is very good exercise! I like this mountain and trail.

Happy Trails,
Tomoko :cool: