Mt Isolation loop: trail style between Rocky Branch Trail between Shelter #2 and #1?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinCanFury

Reaction score
I'm looking to do an overnight of the loop around Isolation starting at Crawford Notch, heading up Davis Path up to Isolation then around and down the (old?) location of Rocky Branch Shelter #2 then down Rocky Branch Trail to Shelter #1 and over Stairs Col Trail to get back to the car.

I've been able to find trail reports to get an idea of trail style and difficulty for everything but the Rocky Branch Trail between the shelter locations. Has anyone done this stretch that could provide their thoughts on how it compares to the other trails on the loop I'm planning?

Also, has anyone visited Shelter #2 since they've started to remove the shelter and what's the status of tent camping there?

Thanks!

I did Mt Davis last year via Rocky Branch > Stairs Col > Davis Path. I can't directly comment on the conditions for the section you describe but it had just reopened last year and I believe has numerous re-routes away from the river which I would assume are like some sections on the lower part (soft, bouncy turf with slick dirt and roots on the relocated sections). If I remember right from my thread, the #2 shelter is unusable but don't quote me on that. I would also point out that water is pretty scarce for much of that route. Last year was dry and there was very, very little water to be found once the climbing started on Stairs Col and all of the Davis Path. Considering it is as dry or drier than last year that will probably be an important consideration as you plan the loop given the distances between sources. I'd recommend a pump style filter so you can get water from very tiny sources.

The stretch between the shelters is mostly flat (old RR grade). There are a couple of reroutes, but the most notable feature are the crossings that would be difficult/dangerous in high water. The section right near the now burned shelter is pretty wet, but that was the only major mud problem I recall. There is a small spur by the Iso/RB juntion that leads to a camping area, though I didn't check it out personally. If you're fine with the stretch from Stairs to Isolation, this part of the hike will feel pretty tame. :)