Mt Jefferson via Castle Ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
After an expensive breakdown and waiting for a "Presi Day" Sunday arrived with what looked to be a spectacular day above treeline. MWO forecasted mostly clear under mostly clear skies, highs near 50, light winds, and low humidity.

Marlie and I arrived at the Castle Tr in Bowman at 5:20am. That meant a 2:30am wake up :twisted: and after a buy one get one free breakfast sandwich at McDonalds in Plymouth I was already tired and ready for a nap.

We had boots/paws on trail at 5:30 and headed up the Castle Tr with our destination in sight. The sun was just peeking over the horizon.

20130721_2.JPG

We made our way up to the Isreal Ridge Path then on to the Castle Ravine Tr. Both of the lower crossings were rock hoppable but stepping in an inch or 2 of water made things much easier. If the water were a few inches higher it would have been a challenge. I have had my eye on Castle Ravine since my trip up Madison and Adams in May. Until the bottom of the headwall it follows the remnants of an old road. It is lightly used and by the time we hit treeline we had made 11 notable water crossings. Most of which were marked well with white diamonds marked "Path". The footig was never too roung and the grade was nice.

One of the 16 crossings.

20130721_4.JPG

Lightly used trail.

20130721_5.JPG

Remnants of an old road.

20130721_8.JPG

There were also some nice cascades and small falls along the way as well as lots of debris washed up on the brook banks from heavy rains. We soon passed Roof Rock and as I went through, Marlie decided to go around. I guess she is done with caves for a while. Shortly after that we hit the alpine zone and began the climb of the headwall. It was almost all talus and boulders the whole way up zig zaging it's way. Several rocks were loose so I had to be aware of where Marlie was.

20130721_19.JPG

It was a stiff climb up to Edmands Col, but this was probably the easiest ascent of a ravine for me. The views back towards the ravine were awesome as was the grassy alpine zone that we passed through.

20130721_21.JPG

20130721_22.JPG

At Edmands Col we were only a half mile from the summit but what was the rush when we could traverse this?

20130721_31.JPG

We followed The Cornice south, passing Castle Tr and Caps Ridge Tr where I had a glimpse of the southern Presis until the clouds rolled in. I never even had a chance to take a picture. Less than an hour later we were at the foggy junction of the Gulfside Tr. Where we met our first hikers of the day.

20130721_36.JPG

From here the Mt Jefferson Loop starts not too far away, and leads .3 miles to the summit but why would we do that when we could follow the Gulfside Tr back to Edmands Col, completey circling the peak. Besides, the summit was in the clouds. Once at the north end of the Mt Jefferson Loop we ascended to the foggy summit and took a well deserved rest. It was 10:05.

20130721_44.JPG

20130721_46.JPG

From the summit we sedcended along the Six Husbands Tr to the Edmands Col Cutoff. Seems like the best views of the day were mostly of Jefferson's Knee. So much fot that great forecast. Edmands Col Cutoff was very brushy with lots of loose rock. It would also be sketchy in winter, however it had excellent views into Jefferson Ravine and the mass of Mt Adams.

Trail goes straight ahead.

20130721_52.JPG

Jefferson Ravine

20130721_55.JPG

Once back at Edmand Col we crossed back over to the west side and bagan our descent. Notice the large rock in Edmands Col. It;s in almost all of the the pictures of that area. Good to know incase of bad weather.

20130721_58.JPG

From here we descended like a fallind leaf. Randolph Path to Gray Knob Tr to Perch Path to Isreal Ridge Path to Emerald Tr. If you look at our progress on a map it is quite the tangled web. Emerald Bluff has fantastic views of Castle Ravine but the black flies were so bad that I could only stay about ten minutes.

20130721_65.JPG

From Emerald Bluff we descended to Castle Ravine Tr and then took The Link back over to Isreal Ridge Path. Just before the junction there was a nice fall along Cascade Brook. I had been all the way down Isreal Ridge Path before but then took The Link back to Lowes Path and out. It was time to redline that last 1.2 miles. We arrived back at the parking lot for the Castle Tr at 1:55pm and had this view behind us. :x :roll:

20130721_70.JPG

Another great adventure with Marlie, 15.6 miles and 4750 feet of elevation gain. It was fun to take only one Northern Presi peak and explore it from multiple angles. :D

Pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/1175...581678131843187857/albums/5903582358244553889

NETC: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=13421

Great post and a wonderful idea for a hike when conditions are right. Thanks for this and your wonderful pics. We did Madison (#47) that day and although we started at 7:30 am, we also had clouds arrive as we summited. Still beautiful all the same. Can't wait for #48 maybe next weekend if weather permits.

From reading trail condition and trip reports and talking to some local Northern Presidentials hikers, I gather that ascending Mt. Jefferson by the “lightly used” Castle Ravine Trail is quite unusual, so what were the odds that I would do that on the same day as IQuest, leaving a couple of hours later and getting back much later? I second his impressions of the Castle/Israel Ridge/Castle Ravine Trail route up, especially the fine views from the headwall section above treeline:

Jefferson%20by%20Castle%20Ravine%20and%20Ridge%20009-L.jpg

My route down was more direct, and shorter - Castle Trail all the way. The upper half - Castellated Ridge - was rock-scrambling that I found slow and taxing, but the views were terrific, both of Castle Ravine:

Jefferson%20by%20Castle%20Ravine%20and%20Ridge%20033-L.jpg

and looking back up the Ridge:

Jefferson%20by%20Castle%20Ravine%20and%20Ridge%20035-L.jpg

Too bad the views from Jefferson's summit weren't clear, as was forecast, but this was a great route on a nice day. More photos are here.