Mt Katahdin..another cool report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brownie

How I managed to stay away from this New England peak my entire life, I'll never know, because Mt Katahdin is everything its legend is cracked up to be and then some too!
Our gathered group of six planned to stay at Abol campground at the southern base of the main peak. All details had been planed well in advance by our "travel agent" and NE100 quest seeker, Julie, thanks so much for getting us the sites!

Julie, Paula, Diane, Dave, Bill and myself made up our team for the summit bid to the big "K" planned for Saturday Aug, 20th.
Bill and I drove the eight hours Friday and set up camp early and relaxed.
The rest had stayed at local motel Thursday, were climbing the Brothers peaks and soon rolled into camp tired and sun drenched by late day.

Plans needed to be made for which trial and routes, we talked about car spotting to other trail heads and the plan was to leave a spot 2 miles around to the west.
Our plan was to climb Abol trail right from camp, up the steep slide, then bag the K and then the group would split for different goals. Julie needed Mt Hamlin for her list, Bill and I wanted to explore the famous Knife Edge. But we all wanted to bag the big guy first.

We hit the trail at seven sharp with the latest ranger forecast and "peak climb rating" of a Two.
Conditions were calling chance of showers late day, but at least no thunderstorms expected. We were off!
The climb up Abol trail was typical of "anywhere New England", but soon after 1.5 miles we hit the base of the slide. We could see the route all the way to the top and it was a bit intimidating just due to the vertical rise and exposure. The scramble began in earnest with loose scree and small melon sized rocks. Then came the slab mixed in with sandy ledges to further increase the scary slip factor. Solid Class 3 moves were often required on the slabs and I was in heaven. :rolleyes:

The view out from the slide was incredible. The skies were mixed clouds and sun, the summit area beyond looked overcast but not too bad. The peaks in the distant looked in fair weather as well.
But this was all to change faster than I have ever seen unfold before on a large summit, and until this point we thought the day's weather just kept looking better and better.

We continued up to the top of the slide where the route turned into huge boulders and blocks, all of which were quite difficult to scramble. Overhand reaches, butt shimmies and foot jambs were required to gain the "problems" one by one.
We got us a real mountain climb now!

The jagged boulders continued for nearly 1/4 mile until we topped out on the Tablelands plateau. What a sight!
We could see the summit beyond with a huge crowd, then to the east we saw South summit with as many folks. The alpine zone reminded me of typical NH Presidential range, grasses, green spotted rocks and small brushes.

We waited about ten minutes for all the group to collect, ate some snacks and layered up.
Winds were strong southerly about steady 30 mph.

Suddenly we witnessed the radical weather front take charge. It happened so fast that it was surreal.
The summit started getting these huge crawling clouds like giant ghostly fingers and hands whipping over the peak and descending into the abyss beyond. :eek:
Some clouds would race by close overhead then plummet into the ravine as big swirling funnels.
It was awesome and spooky like some giant haunted fog machine.
I looked to the mountain range to the south and saw the same clouds forming, but those clouds were dropping altitude and smothering the horizon.
Strangely however, the wide open valley basin between the south range and our position had plenty of sunshine.
We knew we needed to make plans quickly and proceed to the summit, which by now was getting obscured with each streaming cloud veil.
We marched on.
No more than ten minutes later the whole cloud veil dropped and we would not see the sun again this day.
The winds were increasing violently by now 30-40.
The weather had taken control for the day.

I then passed a grey bearded gent who was gleaming ear to ear, carrying a full pack to the stiff winds.
He was heading down off the summit trail.
"How're do'in?", I ask.
"I just finished!", he replied.
I could feel his rush with envy for he was only moments past his AT conquest.
He introduced us to his stuffed monkey strapped to his shoulder as "Easy Rider", kind of like his "Wilson" as I imagined, like on the movie castaway.
I wondered how many conversations took place with his monkey this summer.
We congratulated him and took his photo for the record then pushed on for the summit only moments away.

Visibility was now less than fifty feet, just enough to make out the next cairn and white blaze. Before long we came to the summit sign and many were there waiting in line to get the mandatory photo opportunity.
We got our group shot, then went below the rocks for wind cover, lunched and made more plans.
Basically all agreed to just climb down and call it a day. We would not even see the Knife Edge and other peaks were just not worth the effort, besides, it might just start raining soon and we were lucky up to this point it hadn't.
Off we went with more dressed layers and a quick step descent.

The plan was to take the Hunt trail down the west flank of the mountain. The ranger explained to Julie, "it was his favorite", so we thought that it might be easier than the Abol Slide. Boy, was that the wrong thought....

We passed many hikers on long section of Tablelands on their way to summit.
I was appalled by the inexperienced clothed folks in cotton tee's and sneakers.
Conditions were ripe for hypothermia with the strong winds and 100% humidity, we were getting misted and rocks were getting slippery. Crazy not to be dressed correctly.

We came to the edge of the Tablelands and then began descent down the spur.
Right off the back we knew this was no cakewalk, for the ridge descended over huge blocks steeper than the slide chute approach. It was like a knife edge drop each side of the boulders and with low visibility made for much uncertainty.
Dave led the trip down and I swept the group for photos.
We continued on and down-climbed enormous blocks, now getting wet and slippery. This was the type of scrambling that you thought might end quickly, just a few boulders perhaps, but no. This continued for nearly a mile. :eek:
Then we came to the steel bolted handles!
What?
Yes indeed, it was too steep to safely climb without manmade assistance and we all used several of the convenient handles, but in most cases they were designed to get up, not down.
All around were gaping chasms between the boulders, don't slip into those!
Finally we got to what is known as the "Gateway", the base of the boulder ridge and the end of the blustery scramble experience.

Then shortly later treeline, but not before a few tricks up and down, back into boulders, then finally the trees again. Now we can peel layers.
"I'll bet the views must be awesome", was the joking consensus.

The trek out from here was uneventful and just seemed to go on and on, four more miles required. By the last half mile the rain finally decided to cut loose and it poured.
We were quite lucky indeed to be off that peak and I could not imagine descending the Hunt Trail in such downpours. But up on the peak we knew others were, somewhere.

Julie shuttled the crew with two trips back to the tent sites where we had our celebration under a huge tarp and blazing campfire to keep warm while the rain pelted away.
We talked with the ranger who said the Hunt was far more difficult than the famous Knife Edge with much more scrambling required.
I guess it would be my favorite too...if it were dry.
Combined with our ascent on Abol, we were glad we saw the toughest routes, but the famous Knife Edge still remains a mystery, yet untouched.

On Sunday morning, under more rain, we cooked huge breakfasts, then broke camp and headed home.
All in all it was a fantastic trip and I have to say it was one of the most challenging treks in the east coast I personally have ever experienced.
Mt Katahdin has not seen the last of us for sure! :cool:

Cool photos click here

Bill's Pictures over on this site too

Brownie

Last edited:
Thanks for the great report and photos - it brought back memories of our trip in July - can't wait to go back. Wasn't the Hunt trail fun? :>

nice pics......great report. Sounds like you enjoyed it. Two bad the views disappeared on you. I'm sure you will make it back for another try.

Great trip report and pics! We were on Katahdin the same day, and must have just missed you (I didn't see anyone in your pics that I remembered). Those clouds definitely were unreal and you got some awesome pictures! Glad you guys had a great time as well. :)

Brownie, Great report and I'm glad that we finally had a chance to get this one in.
You're right too.....with all the hiking we've done, I wonder how we missed this hill for so long, and actually this entire park!
Can't wait to get back,
Bill

Skeeter

Hey Brownie,you saw skeeter!!!we caught em at the summit,I met him over on Saddleback jr.Neighbor hiked with him off and on......after we did Bax and Ham we were at abol lean to# 4 2:15,about 1 hr later old skeeter walks up and talks me into drivin em to tha AT lodge!!!!!Since I met him before i went for it...got him there around 4,he was from Missouri,claimed he took over 3m pics....he started 2/28 up approach trail on Springer...he's a completer for sure. :)

Brownie,

We did the exact same route back in early July, and I had a similar reaction. After climbing Abol Slide I figured the Hunt would be relatively moderate; after all, the same elevation gain is spread out over 5 miles instead of just 4.

We came down off the table lands to the knob where the trail takes a steep downward slant and thought "Holy s__!". There was a group of young women adjusting their large backpacks and preparing to make the same descent; I shuddered at the thought of having to do it with another 25 pounds on my back. At least we had a dry, sunny day.

That mile of steep boulders made the Mahoosuc "toughest-mile-of-the-AT" Notch seem like a romp in the woods in comparison.

My current avatar, by the way, shows me collapsed against a boulder at the bottom of the Hunt after the arduous descent.

Last edited: