Mt Kelsey bushwhack (don't let geography go to your head)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
This is an odd retroactive trip report (from Aug. 9 2003) to advise those who have the bushwhacking bug. [I've done a lot of hiking since then but nothing much of note except for a few places I'm keeping secret.] I hope someone out there is keeping track of various places worth bushwhacking -- I'd add Mt. Kelsey to the "avoid" list unless you like being overwhelmed with spruce trees.

I dragged a friend with me last year up to the Phillips Brook Backcountry in northern NH. International Paper owns a few thousand acres to the south of Dixville Notch, and had granted a recreational lease to a company called Timberland Trails (http://www.phillipsbrook.org/) to operate yurts & ski trails & for other remote recreational purposes. Unfortunately IP did not renew this lease (one would hope they are not going to sell off their timber land, but I'm not optimistic), and I wanted to check it out before the yurts were gone.

The Phillips Brook land also includes all of Erving's Location, which is a small remote unincorporated township that was on my dwindling list of NH towns left to visit. (Here's an interesting article: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Erving's+Location) I needed a better excuse than that, though, to drag my friend there, so we looked at a topo map & decided to head up Mt. Kelsey (~3400ft); one of Timberland Trails' yurts was located on an old woods road about a mile from the summit, and it looked like a relatively short bushwhack.

This mountain isn't that steep but is covered with small boulders, which in turn are covered with moss and decaying downed spruce trees, with live spruce trees growing thickly up towards the sky. Good timber country, but it makes it rather hard both to see where you're going and put your foot on solid ground. The valley has been timbered sometime in the last 10-15 years, so it's not that bad until you get probably 1/3 mile from the summit. (That last 1/3 mile probably took us an hour to push through all the spruce trees.)

The top is rather flat; the western side of the summit is full of downed spruce trees, scattered like pick-up sticks, probably from the 1998 ice storm. I've never been anywhere else where I've "postholed" in the summertime. There were spots where we had to make our way over the trees & moss, and the ground might have been 5 or 6 feet below.

My friend brought a pair of Garmin Rino 120's which actually picked up the GPS signals fairly well through the forest cover, and used them to try to find the geographic summit. I went looking around for the canister/jar at the top & was about to give up when there it was. (If anybody is crazy enough to go there on purpose, bring a new canister & notebook; the one there was a glass jar with a rusted-out lid, no paper inside.)

Anyway, whenever I see a bushwhack trip listed in AMC Outdoors, and I start to get the bug again, I just think back to last year and it cures me pretty quick.

[On the other hand I'd give the Timberland Trails yurts a definite thumbs up.]

Looks like a job for post'r boy!!!!...or have you already whacked it?
It's on the list, no?!

Hey, Mt. Kelsey .... one of my favorite NH 3000 footer bushwhacks (yeah, right!). Walk away now "chamaemorus". There's still hope for you as long as you can stay on the straight and narrow (pathway) and avoid the "bug". But just the idea that you were drawn out there .... !! ;)

Oh, no! Not Mt. Kelsey

I had almost forgotten about another one of our infamous whacks' ! The guy who led the trip hates climbing up over mossy covered rocks, so we went way around to get to the summit. We were all over that mountain and never found the jar, and it was just like Chaemorus described it! Yukky!!

Then, our fearless leader started us down the wrong side, but there was a palace revolt, as we never would have ended up at our cars, if we had followed him!!:D

Found the cannister easily in summer, but when I went back in winter, I gave up after 1/2 hours of going in circles. Glad to know it is still there. Speaking of bad summits in NH, there are 2 that jump to mind: Duck Pond Peak and West Huntington. Anyone seen those registers recently?

West Huntington

Hiker Doc!

I found the one on Duck Pond Mt, but never found the one on West Huntington! Maybe I will give it a try one of these days!

There are 2 registers on W. Huntington. The ridge has a bump on either end. The western end has a sign and most people have signed in there. The eastern end has no sign and very few people sign in there. I am the only one to sign both. That's the kind of guy I am.

HikerDoc, you've got it right! "Hit all the bumps" and you'll never have a question as to whether you got the high point or not. My philosophy too. Works great, but sometimes Mother Nature makes it kind of tough when limited visibility (instrument approaches) are in effect.