Mt Monadnock: A Scramble Practice on 6/29/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
Mt Monadnock: Scrambling Practice on 7/29/06

I wanted a hike where I could practice some rock scrambling in preparation for my hike up the Caps Ridge to Jefferson on 9/9/06 (Flags on the 48 Memorial Hike). I figured Mt. Monadnock (elevation 3,165 ft) via the White Dot Trail would give me some practice. I guess I figured right! :eek:

The day started out with a beautiful ride up North via 93N towards Manchester and then cutting across 101West towards Peterborough followed by Routes 202W and 124W, respectively. Typically, from Mass. I’d take Route 2 West, but I wanted a change of scenery and I was delighted to choose this alternative as it was so much more of a relaxing and aesthetically pleasing route!

I had a bit of a late start arriving at the Monadnock State Park parking lot shortly after 1pm. It was already lunchtime so I sat alone on a picnic table right off the parking area and enjoyed my “Paella” (Spanish rice and seafood dish) along with some Gatorade. I took off towards the White Dot trail at 1:35pm and noted the weather was just simply delightful this Saturday—warm with a slight breeze and only slightly humid.

I basically knew I’d be hiking alone this day but I also realized that I’d be consistently in close proximity to many folks. Monadnock is after all known for its crowds and on this day it was NO EXCEPTION!! All day long, particularly approaching the summit, I noted hearing voices near and far and even pure screeching by kids! It was very reassuring to hear and see people on this hike, believe it or not. At no point either, can I say that I was bothered by the number of folks as even when climbing certain steep parts, there was often enough comfortable space between me and others.

This climb starts pretty gradual for about a mile or so on the White Dot Trail and even when one reaches certain rock scrambles, the trail levels out for a bit until the next big scramble and the trail goes in and out of the trees and ledgy areas. This occurs basically throughout the White Dot trail and it’s only maybe the last ½ mile or so that you’re actually fully above tree line. I must say that I really enjoyed this trail because of the variety it provided! Whereas on the way down via the White Cross Trail, I noted it was pretty constant in it’s steepness, longer and mostly in the tree cover so it was less exciting (for me). Unbeknownst to me, I inadvertently took the “Spruce Link” shortcut towards the end of the White Cross which was cluttered with downed trees (off trail in woods) and all the while I thought I was still on the White Cross Trail! Though I reasoned I might have gotten off the trail, I noted I was still heading downward so I checked my map and realized I had taken the link accidentally. I continued on it as it clearly would take me back towards the parking area. This link was again different from the White Dot and the White Cross trails as it was pretty level with an easy grade and appeared dense through the woods due to the downed trees. Again, what most stood out for me all through this hike, up and down, and via the unintentional detour was a sense of being in very close proximity to others. Though on the way down the White Cross and the Spruce Link Trails, I probably could count the folks I saw with 2 hands, the constant echoes of voices near and far were a reminder that this mountain was indeed a most popular choice for many! I heard various dialects spoken on this day and I even encountered a young woman that I hiked with up the last ¼ or so to the summit that was hiking with a sundress water shoes and an exhausted look and assured me that back in California where she lived, she didn’t hike. I believed her! ;-) She had fallen behind her group and I was trying to encourage her to continue. I also hiked closely for a bit too with a young family, a dad and mom and their 6 year old and 10 year old children. It was very interesting for me to watch these families and marble at the agility and fearlessness that some of these young children displayed and wondered if I could seemingly be at such ease if I’d hiked here with mine when they were this young? Somehow, I don’t think it would have been a very relaxing time for me! Still, it was sooo heart-warming to see so many folks having such a grand time spread out on the ledges enjoying snacks or lunches and chattering away on this lovely day!

All in all a great hike—rock scrambles, interacting with folks, weather and all!

I loved ascending via the White Dot Trail especially! :)

Here are pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/552691676sdcqiA

Last edited: