Mt Monadnock-Harling, X-country ski trails, Cascade Link, Red Spot, White Dot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
Date: 12/29/12

Conditions: Harling and X-country ski trails were 10" unbroken windblown snow and we broke trail the whole way. Cascade Link to Red Spot jct was packed out well and I switched to Hillsounds. Cascade Link heading to Spellman and Pumpelly had only one set of bare boot tracks heading that way as of 11 AM. Red Spot was well broken out to Pumpelly. Old Ski Trail was unbroken. Pumpelly was windblown and drifts with lots of ice from previous storms in windblown areas. White Dot was well packed out. Lots of butt sliders in the steep sections so those areas will get slick fast. 10" snowfall packed in much better than I had expected for a first snow fall and most rocks are covered.

Equipment: I used snowshoes while breaking trail and switched to Hillsounds on packed trails. Few in the group used snowshoes to Paradise Valley on Pumpelly and then switched to Hillsounds. Certainly need traction. Lots of ice under the snow and snow did not bond real well. I would be extremely cautious over on Smith Summit as we were over there last wednesday and there was lots of ice so it could be deceptively slick now. Most people were wearing traction. We were about only ones that had snow shoes with us. Might want snowshoes for unbroken trails which you might find out of the White Arrow area. Poles definitely helpful with winter baskets.

Comments: Nice first snowshoe hike of the year. If you head out Harling trail don't follow our trail once we start the bushwhack to the old A frame. We took a wrong turn on the way out and ended up following the one of the x country ski trails for a few miles back to the Harling and finally to the Cascade Link. Tried to reach Birchtoft with a bushwhack but that was tough going too so we ended up following the ski trail to Cascade Link. Long way to get there but very nice area for beginner snowshoers if you're so inclined.