Mt Morgan via Mt Morgan Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Geneva and I had a nice walk up to the always pleasant Mt Morgan ledges and summit today.

The trail was almost entirely void of snow, just a dusting here and there. It did have a decent amount of ice and frozen ground, as well as some mud, and a few open running streams.

I bare booted it for most of the trail, until I caught up with a group who were laughing and joking and taking their time getting up a rather icy section right before the ladders on the cliff trail. They had a dog who growled at Geneva, so we hung back for a while for them to make their way ahead, and I put my microspikes on. We waited a little longer and then took off again, but caught them almost immediately. Fortunately it was where you could choose to go over the cliffs or not. So we decided to go on the other trail.

We hit the summit quickly, helped out a great deal by the microspikes. It only looked like one other human and dog combo had gone to the actual summit today, seems like most people get to the cliff views and turn around. We went down to check out the views next and were rewarded to have them to ourselves and the clear cool air gave us beautiful views all around!

I wanted to do a loop over to Percival today, but due to the late ‘arm start’ :rolleyes: I decided to head back down and get to the grocery store in time for once. We quickly caught up with the group again, and Geneva made friends with their doggy. ;) I walked behind them at a pretty slow pace for a while. They seemed to keep turning and looking at me with sort of odd expressions, and then just picking their way along the trail. :confused: Finally one of the group said kind of loudly ‘Oh, let me let you go by’, and they all cleared off the trail as Geneva and I passed and were quickly out of hearing of them.

Now I am certainly no speed hiker, far from it. I have happily stepped off the trail more times than I can count to allow other hikers to pass by me. I had waited patiently for these folks to navigate an icy section and gave them plenty of space and kept Geneva at my side. It seems kind of odd to me that only 1 person in this group of 6 plus a dog was willing to let someone pass by on the narrower section of the trail. I made no comment to them at all except to say thank you for letting us pass by. :confused::rolleyes:;)

All in all a great day to be out walking in the woods and chilly air with Geneva!