Mt Moriah, Carter-Moriah trail, Feb-3-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Feb-03-2013 (Super Bowl XLVII Sunday)

Trail Conditions: Very little snow depth, hard packed even off trail. Some Ice flows on the trail below 3000’ but all easily avoided or handled with microspikes. One short tough iced area near 3100’, but manageable without crampons if cautious. Actually the 1st 400 feet of trail is the worst ice.- my only fall was within 200 ft from finishing the hike. Over half a dozen manageable fallen trees (under and over) after Mt Surprise - several look very recent.

Special equipment: I carried shoes and crampons but never saw the need to get out of my micro-spikes. Bare booting may be an option for others. I think the only other two hikers I saw were bare boots.

Comments: A very pleasant and relatively easy hike with no wind and great views from both the Mt Surprise area and the Moriah. I was surprised at so little snow and so few hikers on a Sunday (only met 2 other hikers and one dog walker and no sign at the summit of others coming from Stony Brook)
2 to go for my 48 !! (Isolation & Madison)