Mt Moriah - Kid's trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
Plan on taking my 11 yr daughter and 11 yr nephew backpacking for two nights - I want to make it somewhat easy but at the same time give them a decent view I was thinking camping Friday night at somewhere near rt 16 and then going up Stoney Brook and camping at the Imp shelter. couple of questions:

1. Is the water source at Imp good?

2. Should I go up Stoney Brook or should I take the northern route up Surprise Mt up to Moriah and then down Stoney. Is there any place to camp around Surprise Mt (if yes - I assume no water source - correct).

3. Is there any where to camp at the base of these trails? Dolly? At the beginning of the trail on Stoney brook?

4. Does this seem like a reasonable hike for kids?

5. Black fly situation?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't been on Moriah since 2005, and I came from the south, but I can answer one of your questions:

1. Is the water source at Imp good?

Yes, reliable and pretty well protected. I'd still treat, since dogs do not obey signs.

2A. Should I go up Stoney Brook or should I take the northern route up Surprise Mt up to Moriah and then down Stoney.

I don't know.

2B Is there any place to camp around Surprise Mt (if yes - I assume no water source - correct).

Just from eyeballing the map, the terrain looks steep and I would not count on water.

3. Is there any where to camp at the base of these trails? Dolly? At the beginning of the trail on Stoney brook?

East of the trail, very low on Stoney brook, should be both legal and feasible, with available water. (Again, just from looking at the map.) Doesn't get you much of a start on your hiking, though. Did you consider the Rattle River trail? It's got a shelter. That route also gives you an option of hiking Shelburne Moriah, which is a nice peak.

4, 5

I don't know. You're the one carrying most of the gear, that's the limiting factor.