Mt Tecumseh 11-11-06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bintrepidhiker

Reaction score
Coming a little late but better late than never right?

Departed Manchester with my friends Corey and Alicia at about 6:30 and arrived at the Tripoli trailhead for Mt Tecumseh Trail at quarter to 8. Was mostly overcast skies and temps around freezing but had calm winds so it didn't feel that cold. Trail itself was covered in leaves and muddy in places but nothing to really worry about. The only stream crossing was a little challenging but as long as you have good waterproof boots its no worry at all.
It moved like a level trail for the most part. The only way we knew we were going up was by looking back and seeing the decline. By the time we hit the cone of the first knub the snow began to appear on the ground, mostly off trail with some patches on the trail itself. Was at the top of the knub when we saw moose tracks that looked fairly fresh. Never saw the actual moose unfortunatly. One day i hope to see and picture one again. (to date i have seen only one and it was grey and didn't get to photograph it). The viewpoint showed Mt Moosilauke in the distance looking like the top was in the clouds.
Once we hit the saddle between that knub and Tecumseh itself the steep part began. Wasn't too steep but with the snow being more evident on the trail with patches of ice, it made for more careful footing. Along the way we met a grouse that scared us all, taking off like a moose was charging us or something. Was about quarter to 11 when we hit the top. Was number 29 for me. There wasn't much to see for views due to low clouds but could still make out the Tripyramids in the distance. After a rest of about 20 mins we started heading down.
The only tricky part was the steep section from the summit to the knub again with the snow and ice but taking it slow we made it with no problems. Then we had to climb the knub again but it not being very steep at all it was no problem. At the top of the knub we saw our moose tracks again but heading the opposite way! Must have just missed it somehow! Oh well. By now the sun had appeared and helped to warm the air some. It almost had a spring-time feel for the trip down, very refreshing. We made it back to the car by about 12:30 i believe. Despite the clouds, it was still a pleasent day to do the shortest 4k!

Pictures

"knub" = West Tecumseh :) (if you started from the trailhead I think you did)

Which I think used to be on a list at some point (NE100 highest maybe?) before it was determined it didn't have the 200 ft. of prominence.

This seems to be the more interesting route up Tecumseh, the trail from the ski area was relatively uneventful.

TDawg said:
"knub" = West Tecumseh :) (if you started from the trailhead I think you did
The first knob is not West Tecumseh, which is the last knob, slightly off the trail. There are still traces of a short herd path to its summit, from when it was on the list.
This seems to be the more interesting route up Tecumseh, the trail from the ski area was relatively uneventful.
I agree, and when the road is open almost always go up Tecumseh that way.

bintrepidhiker said:
Never saw the actual moose unfortunatly. One day i hope to see and picture one again.
Once when walking down the ski trails on Tecumseh I saw a giant bull moose. I see more wildlife on ski trails than hiking trails and get a better look at it becuase you can see so much farther. If you want a good look at wildlife, try trails that follow old logging roads or railroad grades.

Waterville Valley certainly has moose. I see one or two every winter while XC skiing. And days you don't see the moose, it's nearly unheard of not to have moose tracks running right down the middle of the corduroy, especially on Livermore Road. In the summer, if I ride early in that area, I'm prone to seeing them standing on the side of the road. If I was actually looking for them, instead of skiing full-bore, I'm sure I'd see 10X as many.

Tim