Mt. Utsayantha

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there

I was up there in the Spring.

There is a dirt road that you can drive all the way to the top.
We opted to walk the road as it was wet and the Catskill mud (red clay) is slippery.

At the summit there is a cluster of communication towers, the fire tower (closed when I was there) and an observation buliding/souvenier shop (closed).

There are nices views from the hang-gliders platform, and from the clearing near the observation buliding.

i was up there last thursday - i don't know about a five state view but you can see quite a bit of new york (the five state view is near windham) - - - it has a sign that says roadwork ahead but nothing going on (that road sure does need a lot of work) - be careful if your vehicle has low clearance - the firetower has 2 flights of stairs removed but they are putting new platforms and steps, so i imagine they will soon be putting those two flights back on - there is a sign stating that they are developing the site into a park, it would be a nicer park without all those radio towers (and people are worried about cellphone radiation? there are 60 & 100 watt 2 way radio repeaters up there) - - - - there are supposed to be some trails being developed around the mountain... but if you want to hike there is the catskill scenic trail right below rinning from grand gorge, through stamford and hobart to bloomville (20 miles) - - - there is also another section that is still being developed but mostly finished running from grand gorge to roxbury (a very nice section about 6 miles long) you can also bike this trail but need a mountain bike since it is kind of rough - there are details on this trail at the stamford train station or you can go to http://www.durr.org/2003/cst.html ...ate property) - have fun - it is a nice area.

Last edited:
Great to hear about all the restoration work being done to the Mt. Utsayantha tower and park. There isn't a lot of public access land in this area of the Catskills. I remember quite a group of Catskill 3000 foot peaks to the south and east of here that we climbed, just about all of them on private land. Most property owners there were friendly and granted permission for our climbs.
REF: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4694397&e=532497&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25