Mt. Washington Weather Obs. temps at various elevations...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/arvtp/

The link above brings you to a beta version of a multi elevation temp. readings.

Has anyone found them to be very accurate so far?

If you look at the elevations how similar will the temp be at similar elevations of other mountains?

I've gotta say this is the best I've seen the weather obs website at work! It's fun and very helpful with planning!

thanks for the link! i visit their website daily but never went to that page. not sure of its reliability, but i certainly wouldn't consider it a reliable temperature gauge for other mountains except perhaps the northern presidentials. as many of us know washington can have its own weather!

The sites have been very reliable temperature wise, with one exception. The shed has yet to be properly shielded, so base temperatures are often a bit high. Other than that it has been a great resource!!!

The 2300 foot site was apparently taken out by a fallen tree in the last storm...

Yes true

Yes Mt. Washington can make it's own weather, very true.

I wonder does anyone have a realiable website for temps at various altatudes (sp). For instance if it's -15 on Mt. Washington at 3500 feet is that typical for that elevation or is there a better website with approx. temps at various elevations?

There was a post not long ago with a link to a useful aviation weather website, giving forecasted wind speeds at different altitudes (3000 and 6000 ft are most applicable to this area) and it also has forecasted temps for those altitudes. BUT those temps are probably not reliable for the mountains, as ground effects can throw temps off by a lot. The effects are so localized that temps tend to vary a lot from one place to another at similar elevations, especially in calm winds (less air mixing). For instance, right now it's 29 in Orange MA and 51 in Fitchburg at a similar elevation, because calm winds make cold air sink. I'd use a combination of the higher summits forecast and the ARVTP from the MWO website to give you a rough idea. Then you can keep yourself occupied for a while on the trail wondering why they are wrong (or right). :)

weatherman said:
There was a post not long ago with a link to a useful aviation weather website, giving forecasted wind speeds at different altitudes (3000 and 6000 ft are most applicable to this area) and it also has forecasted temps for those altitudes. BUT those temps are probably not reliable for the mountains, as ground effects can throw temps off by a lot. The effects are so localized that temps tend to vary a lot from one place to another at similar elevations, especially in calm winds (less air mixing). For instance, right now it's 29 in Orange MA and 51 in Fitchburg at a similar elevation, because calm winds make cold air sink. I'd use a combination of the higher summits forecast and the ARVTP from the MWO website to give you a rough idea. Then you can keep yourself occupied for a while on the trail wondering why they are wrong (or right). :)
Here's the link you referred to.