Mts. Wonalancet, Hibbard, Nanamacomuck, Passaconaway, & Whiteface - 3/04/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Route: Old Mast Road, Wonalancet Range, Walden, Dicey’s Mill, Rollins, and Blueberry Ledge Trails

Date: Monday, 3/03/14

Equipment: Microspikes to Mt. Wonalancet. Snowshoes the rest of the way.

Conditions: Broken out to Mt. Wonalancet, much less so to Hibbard Mtn. Then completely unbroken until final push up Mt. Passaconaway. Dicey’s, Rollins, and Blueberry Ledge Trails were well packed.

Comments: The most challenging part of today’s hike was negotiating the incredible frost heaves on Rts. 113 and 113A. Holy Moly!

Wonalancet Range Trail was broken out nicely to its namesake summit, including the Shortcut (which I did not do). I switched to snowshoes just before the summit because the track became much less consolidated. Someone had continued on to Hibbard Mtn., but the human tracks stopped there. However, there was an incredible array of critter tracks in this area! Although a bit crusty--and consequently very noisy with MSRs (I did not sneak up on any animals today!)--the trail breaking was not difficult.

The Walden Trail looked to not have been traveled all winter. The descent to the col before Nanamocomuck was fun albeit slower than I would’ve liked due to the crusty top layer. In the col itself route finding was tricky, but I consulted the excellent WODC map which states “Trail turns left at the col and briefly follows an unreliable stream downhill.” Okay. Then, 0.3 miles later, “Trail bears right away from stream, then climbs steeply.” They weren’t kidding. The last time I was on this trail was over 20 years ago, and it was summertime so I did not get full appreciation for this trail’s workout. The very steep section was only 0.4 miles, but it was very steep, and the snow was crusty on top with loose granular underneath. There were probably a half dozen scrambles where I would ask myself HOW I was going to get up THAT. Each time a branch, small tree, or nub would appear enabling me to hoist myself up and over. I would not necessarily recommend this route but would not dissuade its use either: It Was Wicked Fun!! :D

The Square Ledge Trail was not broken out, but the final climb up Passaconaway was… by what looked to be a batallion of moose and a snowshoer or two. From the summit of Passaconaway, down Dicey’s, and across Rollins was very well packed out. I met a total of 7 Microspikers (Hi again to Dee and Loanshark!), but I opted to leave snowshoes on. Careful deliberation was exercised on the descent of Blueberry Ledge. I am always surprised at the dicey-ness of this trail. My intention was to try to descend the Tom Wiggins Trail, but there was either no sign, a buried sign, or I completely missed it. Probably for the better!

Beautiful, sunny blue sky day. A bit cold but never felt too bad. Took the Kanc back to 93. Compared to 113, it was smooth sailing. I love this area of the White Mtns., just wish it wasn’t such a far drive for me!

Last edited: