Mud Season Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiseAboveHiker

Reaction score
I'm noticing a few people have been reporting in the trail conditions page that they've been summiting the ADK high peaks. Does this mean they are in good shape and I could fit one in this weekend or the next, or is mud season still in force? Has anyone been up there lately to give sound advice? Thanks.

From what I've read and spoken with those who've been up there recently, is that the southern facing slopes are clear, and on the highest northern facing slopes and ridges there's still up to a foot of slush, but nothing you can't get around. I still haven't heard/read anything regarding the tallest (Marcy, Algonquin, haystack, or Skylight), but I could imagine this week's warmth is taking a toll on remaining snow :).

I am going to head up Sunday and try to summit Whiteface and Esther. I was going to wait until memorial day weekend for my next high peaks hike, but the reports coming in are so good I'd be a fool to stay home anymore...

Last weekend I went up Blueberry, Porter and Cascade from Marcy field and it was pretty dry. Stepped on snow only once.