Multitool options- porcupine protection

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peakbagr said:
My pal, Rik also hikes with his dog and reminded me that a muzzlefull of quills is just a matter of time.
:eek: Wow. Knock on Wood, or something.

Peakbagr said:
Thats interesting on the barbing of the quills. When we were done, I picked us a number of them and slid my finger along them right down to and over the points. While needle sharp there was no barb on the end of any of them that I could feel. Could be that the barb comes our when you pull the quill?
I am under the impression that the business end of the quill has tiny scales, not a "barb" per se. The scales are called "barbs".

Congrats to you for being prepared.

Chip said:
I am under the impression that the business end of the quill has tiny scales, not a "barb" per se. The scales are called "barbs".

I was quoting Rezendes, who was in turn paraphrasing a study. I know there are scales, those you can feel. Whether the study was equating the scales with barbs, I don't know. Because of those, if you've got a quill that's gone through and through, it's often easier to yank it out by pulling it all the way through.