Musings on Safety.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most every time I hike I do something I haven't done before, that's how I get experience. Is that going outside of the bubble? In a sense yes but I don't think so. I don't push myself to exaustion, I'm not in good enough shape to push that limit. People with a lot of experience may seem to be taking bigger risks than by those that have less experience or are more cautious.

The bottom line for me is to know your limits.

Little Rickie said:
Most every time I hike I do something I haven't done before, that's how I get experience. Is that going outside of the bubble? In a sense yes but I don't think so. I don't push myself to exaustion, I'm not in good enough shape to push that limit. People with a lot of experience may seem to be taking bigger risks than by those that have less experience or are more cautious.

The bottom line for me is to know your limits.

Well put. Living life is going outside the bubble everyday. How far outside that bubble is the choice IMO that most of us have. Having the privilege to spend that time in the outdoors is just that ...a privilege. Once outside the bubble it is each and everyone of our's decision how far outside that bubble we want to go before returning to the bubble. Becoming comfortable in our farness outside the bubble is the key to understanding our own Life. If you donot venture beyond the bubble you will truely not live your Life.

Pete_Hickey said:
I
I do have a worst nightmere. Two of them. I hike alone a lot. Falling through the ice on a lake is one. The other one, is falling into a 12 foot deep spruce trap. I remember one time, falling into a spruce trap which was just about head-hight-deep, and I had a REAL hard time getting out. Thoughts of the 12 foot deep ones worry me... but not enough to stop me from hiking alone, off trail in winter.

Falling through the ice-not fun. Went in chest deep when I was in Boy Scouts. I got fished out and had to walk a ways to the cabin we were staying at. The pain of "thawing"was worse than the cold water.

Went into a spruce trap over my head on Starr King-with an avalanche shovel in my hand. How fortunate is that?? It still took a major excavation to dig my way out.