MWOBS Article On Forecasts, Trailhead Programs, Misc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Thought this was an interesting article covering a lot of the topics recently discussed in hiker fatality threads. Wasn't really sure where to jam it in so I just did it separately. Has a lot of non-SAR event statistics about responses, the trailhead programs altering hiker plans, the AMC huts role in education and rescue, etc. No "breaking news" really but it pulled together a lot of topics nicely with some numbers.

https://www.mountwashington.org/about-us/backcountry.aspx

I gave the MWOBS text a try just for the heck of it. Got a current weather text almost immediately that correlated exactly with the MWOBS website. About 30 seconds later I got a forecast for the coming day/night. Pretty cool I thought and something a lot of younger, phone centric people might actually pay attention to. Not sure how long that has been available (EDIT: Apparently the signs with the text number were hung in DEC 2021 so it is fairly new). As the article mentioned regarding the weather:

“The opportunity to frontload that information with folks when they’re getting out on the trails, that is huge,” Wrigley said

Last edited: