N. & S. Twin from Little River Rd. 1/7/09 (day of snow storm)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
The AMC book says take Haystack Rd. ~2.5 miles in to t/h, but the road was gated. After looking and asking around, I was told that the No Trespassing sign at the end of Little River Rd. wasn't aimed at hikers, it's just to keep people away from the water tank. [edit; I just learned from a reply to my trip report that my info was wrong: the No Trespassing sign is indeed intended for hikers too. Inquire at the 7Dwarves Motel about parking.
The first mile was a bushwhack along the E. side of Little R to get to the t/h at the end of Haystack Rd. I recommend starting on the old road(?) just above and to the east/left of the gate. At times the slope was so steep that I stayed pretty far from the river just to be on level ground. Eventually I saw good walking terrain closer to the R, so I went down the steep slope. It took about an hour to get to the t/h.
Trail was well packed and the tread was easy to see despite the day's snow. The previous person(s) opted for a bushwhack betw the first and second crossings, and there again their tracks were usually easy to see. The ice bridges looked like they might be navigable, but here and there I could see ice sheets hanging in the air that might have looked fine to someone crossing from the other side. It wasn't worth it even in daylight, and it would be dark on the way out.
Overall, there was very little blowdown, and the tread was visible most of the way to S. Twin. Somewhere on the way to N. Twin, the tread was no longer visible, but the way was still fairly obvious.
Summit of [South Twin] was mostly bare rock, very little ice.
On the way out it snowed, and in very few spots my tracks had drifted completely over. Surprisingly, those spots were mostly lower down.
There was enough snow and wind to blow over tracks, but based on Wednesday's hike and the amount of snow on my car Thurs AM, but the additional depth would add little to trail breaking difficulty.
--Snowshoes required. Crampons not used.
--Minor water crossings no problem. Major crossings still a bit risky, but fortunately not necessary.

Last edited: