New Baxter State Park Groups size rule Summer 2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BSP has instituted a new more specific policy on groups. Beginning this summer the maximum size of a hiking group can be no more than 12. Affiliated groups on the same trail separated by less than one mile shall be considered one group. Hiking groups of more than 12 will be considered in violation of the regulation and will be asked to immediately terminate their hike immediately and may be subject to summons.

This should be common sense and common courtesy but over the years I have encountered large groups, usually church or youth groups on weekend day hikes that would be in violation of the new rule.

I encountered a mega sized college freshman orientation hike across the knife edge, one poor girl was pale, shaking and clinging to rocks with fear, no one helping her, just jeers and laughter from many of the kids in the group, no responsible adults to be seen. I offered her some assistance how to move forward as going back through the chimney was not an option. I am glad to see them create this rule, I hope it is enforced.

Generally rules enforcement isnt an issue at Baxter ;), Baxter's reputation to many folks is they are overly agresssive about enforcement of "unfiar rules". I dont mind when folks like that complain as it just cuts down on the competition for spots in the park.

I confess, in the past I would have been in violation. Hiking with a Boy Scout Troop and assorted parents can be a challenge to break up and manage. The rule makes sense.

What would be a good limit on size? 12 still seems large.

I expect the assumption is 10 youths and two leaders? Most group sites are limited to 14 maximum capacity. USFS Wilderness regs allow up to 10 so they arent far off. I wouldnt want to see any larger size but since the park does have several group sites, I dont think it would be fair to make the max group size any smaller. Realistically, I think its intent is to cut back on the huge groups that arrive in a multiple passsenger vans. I have seen college groups show up at Roaring brook in three large shuttle vans with a total of about 30 folks. They tend to spreadout but then recombine near the summit and on the knifes edge.

I like Peakbagger's theory. They've said before that they use the parking spaces to control the number of hikers on the trails. That's why they discourage getting a ride and being dropped off instead of parking yourself.

I know of one meet up group, which shall remains nameless, that routinely violates the NH 10 person wilderness rule, so it will be interesting to see if they follow the new Baxter rule, or just assume that it doesn't apply to them.