New Jersey Pine Barrens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Anyone ever paddle the rivers of beautiful NJ? The Cedar Creek, the Mullica, et al?
Was talking with the owner of the Jersey Paddler and he says they're really nice. Sounds ironic but hey, you never know.

Where I live in south Jersey is actually considered within the Pine Barrens. Yes there is alot of nice paddling here. Some of the rivers can handle longer touring kayaks and others are more suited to shorter kayaks. The current can be really strong in in the rivers, there can be obstacles and in some places the rivers can be really shallow. There are several operators who rent kayaks at put ins and then pick you up further along down the river. You can also do some kayak camping if you have 2 cars for a spot. If you plan on doing some south jersey paddling, let me know. I am always looking for folks to paddle with.
AMF from this site is also from the Pine Barrens area and may be able to give some advice too.

When I first started working in NJ in 2000, my old ADK chapter had a paddling weekend on the Batista. Not knowing any better I brought my 16.5' Necky Zoar. Yikes!!!!! There were there some really tights turns on that little creek!!!!

I think the Pine Barrens are really very nice - I just wish I could get back there. I won't bring a VW Jetta again either - Those sand roads to the PI's/TO's had big ruts and I remember pushing sand in the lower front front of my car's skid plate as I struggled to keep up with the high clearance vehicles. :D

Carol and I paddled the Oswego River down in Wharton SF, which is really nice and really shallow! Nicer in the off season as the picnicers and bathers abound in the frontcountry.

As far as other rivers, The Wallkill and Delaware are other rivers I've done but most of the better rivers are down in south jersey like in Wharton and the pineys. A lot of the better lakes are in the north and western sections of the skylands. Of course, the ocean is in the east. :D

Jay

I'm thinking of doing the Cedar sometime soon. Is it possible to paddle back up stream rather than using two vehicles? Is the current stong in these piney creeks?
Thanks.

Cedar Creek isn't particularly swift really, but is quite windy (windey? wind-y? lol) in some places. Definitely wouldn't bring a sea kayak down there. I went down once in a 15-foot boat and it was annoying. But then again, I'm not exactly joe kayaker either, so maybe if I had half of a skill, it would have been easier.

Don't forget the snake repellant! :)

Edit: You could probably paddle both ways. Easier as a one-way shuttle of course.

Last edited:
As noted, the pb creeks tend to be on the swift & wind-ey side - can be a challenge for a long boat! If you are interested in upriver travel, you can usually manage in a kayak, but they are great for poling in an open boat.

With the proliferation of boat liveries, its hard to get any solitude on a weekend. Go midweek & you will swear you are in Canada.

amf

Well, I appreciate that good info. I'll most likely be travelling in a 14.5 foot canoe and a buddy o' mine in a 14 foot kayak. With two of us going, we'll likely do the 2-car thing.
Exploretheeast...you're kidding with that snake, right? Please tell me you're kidding. (BTW...you're an awseome photographer)

Last edited:
IndianChris said:
...Exploretheeast...you're kidding with that snake, right? Please tell me you're kidding...

He's not kidding! On occasion, I've had them literally drop from the branches into the boat. Usually water snakes - nonpoisonous, but of a somewhat cranky disposition.

AMF said:
He's not kidding! On occasion, I've had them literally drop from the branches into the boat. Usually water snakes - nonpoisonous, but of a somewhat cranky disposition.

Probably makes me happy to be in a kayak and not a canoe sometimes!

p.s. that would be "nonvenomous", poison is ingested whereas venom is injected, a technically many people miss. :)

Not that I have seen any when paddling in the Pine Barrens but there are some places that have rattle snakes. Friends of mine who have camped in Bass River State Park have seen them. So, you do need to be alert if you are going to be getting out of your kayak.