New Trail on Santanoni's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Hiker

Reaction score
Can anyone give insight to the new trail in the Santanoni's? We are planning to do them this weekend coming(27th) and would like any info. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie

It's clearly flagged at the top with colored tape and a black string. .18 miles from the summit of Santa -- you can't miss it.

At the base It is marked with a cairn as it veers off to the left maybe 1/4 mile before bradley pond. I did not follow this part because I lost the trail at the brook crossing (coming down) and 'whacked to the main trail.

There is one cliffy section probably at about 3500-3700' that is very tricky. I think there is a bypass for it, but I did not follow it (oops).

Santanoni trail

Thanks so much for the reply. I just finished reading your post. Is the bypass noticeable?

The Old Tahawus Club Trail (early 1890's) starts shortly after the Santanoni Brook Falls (the beautiful section that hugs the trail where everyone stops to enjoy the views and a rest), actually where the trail gets flat again (last summer a tiny balsam was growing in the middle of the trail at that very intersection and there is an old wooden sign support on a tree to the left of the Tahawus Trail start)and you see the first wooden planks/bridges installed long ago to ease the travelling over a muddy section. If you pay attention you will not missit it to your left. The "Edmund-Hillary Step" section can be avoided by going a bit further all the while contouring at first that tall cliff, it's still steep but easier and by-passes another unpleasant spot.

Last edited:
Black Spruce, Thanks so much. I will be printing these all off and looking at my map to compare. I appreciate all the help on this.

Anyone know if this "new" route to the slides has much blow down. I was going to do all 3 but the lower 3 disks in my back are telling me "NO WAY!". :(
I figure if there is not much blowdown, I could do santanoni by itself this year and later do couchie and panther by way of panther brook.

I Do Plan On Doing Santa And Pather Later Around Aug 23rd...did Couch Last Yr. In May When So Was Still There...camped Right In The Snow...was Around 60 And Sunshine On Top..30 At The Tent...brrrrr.. Good Luck .. I Plan On Hitting Panter First And Then Santa And Taking The New/old Trail Down..hope Your Back Is Better.

Thanks

Just wanted to Thank everyone for all your insight to the Old/New Trail. We found it without issue. It was a very long, wet, and mud filled day, but we managed to get all three done. Thanks again for all your help:)

Stephanie