News From Nikon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
For Nikon fans ...

Nikon announces its new D3 SLR camera, here: Nikon D3

The new D300 SLR is announced here: Nikon D300

Two new zoom lenses from Nikon are announced here: New Nikon Zooms

And Nikon announces new super telephoto lenses, here: Expensive Dream Stuff

It sure is interesting to watch these developments (sigh).

G.

PS: There is more comprehensive information available on these products from Nikon Japan

Last edited:
Wow, those lenses are really expensive compared to the Canon equivalents - like about 1/3 more. No wonder you always see a sea of white lenses on the sidelines of sporting events.

- darren

I find it interesting that the first new Nikon goes to a full frame sensor, their first move into that market.

Good looking bodies there, but I'm lensed into the canon system, and am completely happy with that!

Last edited:
w7xman said:
I find it interesting that the first new Nikon goes to a full frame sensor, their first move into that market.
This was anticipated for some time, Nikon has been dropping hints for a while now. The fact that both Canon and Nikon went to live view is pretty amusing, since I doubt most people who buy these things will use it.

Both of these have pretty amazing burst modes, plus vastly improved focusing.

darren said:
Wow, those lenses are really expensive compared to the Canon equivalents - like about 1/3 more. No wonder you always see a sea of white lenses on the sidelines of sporting events.

- darren

I think that the fact that nikon's long lenses never had anything equivolent to IS is the main reason behind the sea of white. It was insurance for sharp shots. With the VR now...and some time...maybe we'll see a bit more of a balance even at that price...

w7xman said:
... Good looking bodies there, but I'm lensed into the canon system, and am completely happy with that!

I like that term, "lensed into" one system or another. I think it does describe how many (or most) of us wind up with whatever array of SLR gear we have.

As it happens, I am lensed into Nikon, and am happy with that situation, myself. The D3 camera body is very attractive to me, since the (nearly) "full"-size sensor would expand my world at the wide angle end of things. I also like the idea of being able to select (change) sensor formats, the 100% viewfinder coverage with high eyepoint and the improved autofocus setup.

For hiking, I pine for the day when a true top quality compact comes on the market that has an optical viewfinder, no perceptible shutter release lag time, decently sized sensor, shoots in RAW format, is weatherproof, can run on off-the-shelf AA Lithium batteries and retails for $99.95. (OK, I'm being unreasonable about the price, but the rest is for real.)

G.

Grumpy and others have raised something I've wanted to post about for some time.
So as to not hijack the thread, I'd like to take some of G's comments and use them to kick off another thread.
This thread has been very useful and is appreciated.

Alan

Peakbagr said:
Grumpy and others have raised something I've wanted to post about for some time.
So as to not hijack the thread, I'd like to take some of G's comments and use them to kick off another thread.
This thread has been very useful and is appreciated.

Alan

Go for it!

G.

Grumpy said:
For hiking, I pine for the day when a true top quality compact comes on the market that has an optical viewfinder, no perceptible shutter release lag time, decently sized sensor, shoots in RAW format, is weatherproof, can run on off-the-shelf AA Lithium batteries and retails for $99.95. (OK, I'm being unreasonable about the price, but the rest is for real.)

G.

I been thinking about checking out the D40 for hiking. It misses the price point, but it is a small and lightweight DSLR...