NH48 and a baby

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
My last trip to NH has got me all fired up for the 48. The challenge is now to find some peaks that are climbable with my son. He loves to go hiking, and can last for up to 8 hours in the pack. I have done as much as 3200 ft. elevation with him over 12 miles, but I don't think I would want to do much more than 10 miles with him in the future.

The question. Which peaks are climbable in a day with reasonable assuradness that there will be no real shear parts (slab) or ladders. (Beaver Brook falls up Moose would be bad.) Which of those peaks are a short drive from a state campground?

I have already done Moosilauke and Techumseh with him, and they fit the criteria. Are any of the Presis do-able?

-percious

percious said:
Are any of the Presis do-able?

-percious

Without knowing you personally it's hard to say, but Jackson is a fairly easy peak (in good weather, anyway). Also, if the weather is good, and you and your son's endurance hold out, then maybe Madison via Valley Way. (From your previous posts you seem to have plenty of above-treeline experience, so I'm sure you would turn back at the first hint of weather issues.)

Check out the ACM guidebooks for overall trail descriptions, then check out recent Trail Conditions and/or Trip Reports on VFTT when you are ready to go.

Have fun!

Actually, many of them would fit that criteria. On the longer end would be Carrigain via Signal Ridge; North Kinsman from Easton; Waumbeck; Lafayette via either Skookumchuck or OBP; North Twin via North Twin Trail; Galehead via Gale River/Frost; Garfield via Garfield Trail (last 200 yards is very steep, but no ladders or scrambles); Carter Dome; Eisenhower; Mt. Tom; Mt. Field. Shortest would be Hale (you could lengthen it by taking Lend-a-Hand down via Zealand Hut), Jackson. I'm sure I'm missing some.

Ones that I would save for later, only because the steeper or longer route is more interesting are Flume/Liberty via Flume Slide/Liberty Springs; Tripyramids via the slides; Jefferson via Caps Ridge or Castellated ridge. Cannon via Hi-Cannon;

Hi Percious,
I'd definitely agree with both JJ and i12 about Jackson, and you might consider Pierce. I'd recommend these because the Mizpah hut is in the area in case you needed to stop somewhere.
You might consider Cannon too, but not from the Hi-Cannon trail (ladders!). If you get concerned about time or have any problems, you can always take the tram back down.
Hope this helps and Good Luck,
Bill

Hi Percious -
My thoughts...
I would probably avoid Lafayette via OBP...there is short section before the hut that I would not want to do with baby on back.
Some that I think are very doable...

Eisenhower via Edmands Path
Pierce via Crawford and/or Mizpah
Monroe is not bad from the hut side, but you would have to get there...I did it via Edmands Path and Eisenhower and Franklin...easily done in eight hours...I would not go up or down LIttle Monroe with baby.
Osceola via Tripoli Road...do not mess with the East Peak
Waumbek would be OK
I have only done Carter Dome from the hut, which is steep, but the other ways are doable.
Been told Jackson is rather doable (planning to haul my 2 year old up that one for my 48th)
Hale
Tom I have been told is not bad
Field and Willey might be OK from the Crawford side...not from the south!
Moriah is lomg but not too steep via Carter Moriah (at least the part I did)
I think Adams, Washington, Jefferson and Madison likely have too many hours of potential exposure...I would probably avoid them in case the weather turned in a hurry.

Hope this helps...and good luck!

I was thinking Madison via Valley Way would be a good Presi to try due to it's proximity to the hut(s). I imagine if the weather turned fowl the hut caretakers would not turn away a man and his son, for a short stay while the weather calms. I would only plan to do Madison if the forecast was good.

I am interested in doing this early June, or July or both. My schedule is packed for both months, but this hike would give me just what I need for training for Katahdin. I think I will be staying at one of the Twin Mountain State Campsites. If anyone is interested in joining, please let me know.

-percious

just a couple more thoughts

For me, footing was the biggest issue with our very large infants/toddlers. Inability to distribute weight (read: you can't put the little one's head anyplace other than on top of his/her shoulders) made fall potential the biggest issue other than weather. I thought Cannon would be a breeze up the Kinsman Ridge Trail (I too was afraid of the ladders on Hi-Cannon) till we hit that very small steep chimney just prior to topping out on the ridge and realized that any slip would send Junior's head toward the rocks in a hurry. So we turned back in great weather, feeling strong, just prior to the summit. Argh. Cannon still remains on my unclimbed 4k list, 7 years later! Just for laughs, if I can get my son interested, I'm thinking about climbing it with him this summer or next so we can do it together for real.

I agree with Mike about exposure- 15 minutes to safety may seem like hours with a kid on your back. But yeah, you should be able to do at least 30 of the 48, theoretically.

And bugs just LOVE those big, bare domes that kids tend to have. Hats are a good thing.

Skookumchuck

You can get to treeline pretty easy this way but climbing up North Lafayette might be a bit much with the toddler on the back.

For Presi's my first choices would be Pierce & Ike, then Madison via Valley Way. I've found kids like distractions, animals (bugs count , not black flies & mosquito's) water mud, etc. I always had good luck having mine sleep a good part of the hike too. Waterfalls not 4K's would be my daughter's choice (back when she first could talk & still now at almost 5)

Mike P. said:
Waterfalls not 4K's would be my daughter's choice (back when she first could talk & still now at almost 5)

You bring up a good point here. I think maybe I should focus my attention a bit more on what my son would like. He likes streams, and definately waterfalls. My last CT hike with him fit the bill excellently. It would be nice to find a trail that crosses a stream periodically, so that he is not always lookin out the same side of the pack (pain in my back).

Oh, and I have a bug net. I made one last year, and I put it on him before it even becomes an issue. A wide brimmed had is also a must, as my wife, and therefore my son have fair skin.

-percious

Posted by JJHikes
Ones that I would save for later, only because the steeper or longer route is more interesting are Flume/Liberty via Flume Slide/Liberty Springs; Tripyramids via the slides; Jefferson via Caps Ridge or Castellated ridge. Cannon via Hi-Cannon

I did see a man with a toddler do the Flume slide and I can say the kid didn't enjoy it much. I can't imagine anybody recommending the North Tripyramid slide with a baby.

percious said:
I think maybe I should focus my attention a bit more on what my son would like. He likes streams, and definately waterfalls.
Hey, if you are into list-bagging (not that there's anything wrong with that), there are at least a couple of guide/trail books focused on 'Waterfalls of New England' or the like. I have no doubt that choosing such a guide to begin or continue to organize your explorations with your son would lead you both to places and experiences that you would not otherwise have found. It may too satisfy your tendancies toward peak-bagging (again, some of my best friends are peak baggers) while your son gradually develops his own.

Percious, will there be other adults with you? If not(although I admire your enthusiasm and do not mean to be too critical) I think it is quite risky. Personally, I waited until my children were able to walk considerable distances before I took them higher up. I am sure you know what is best for you and seem to be a good dad. Regardless, good luck and please be safe. :)

pbernard said:
Percious, will there be other adults with you? If not(although I admire your enthusiasm and do not mean to be too critical) I think it is quite risky. Personally, I waited until my children were able to walk considerable distances before I took them higher up. I am sure you know what is best for you and seem to be a good dad. Regardless, good luck and please be safe. :)

I guess I hadn't really thought about it, but I do try to have company with me when I go on the longer trips. It can get kind of insane only having a baby for comradery after a while. I think that I would not put myself in a situation where I would put my child at risk. Of course, a lot of people probably enter these situations without know it... In that case I probably shouldn't drive up to NH, or out of my state, or out of my house. Yeah, I should probably just stay home.

Seriously though, I am not trying to be coy. Risk is part of everyone's life, and my baby is on my back in one way or another even if he is not physically with me. I have always kept that in mind, and if you have hiked with me, you know I move as safely as possible, and take precautions for the event of a catastrophy.

-percious

pbernard said:
Percious, will there be other adults with you? If not(although I admire your enthusiasm and do not mean to be too critical) I think it is quite risky.
That's a really good question, actually. Personally, I think with the proper gear, food, and experience, a single adult could hunker down in adverse conditions and keep his/her young infant warm, fed, and safe.

However, what happens if that adult is injured or otherwise unable to function, even for s hort period of time? Who is going to put those extra warm clothes on that exquisitely dependent infant when it get's colder or starts to rain?

The scenario of the incapacitated adult and very vulnerable child may seem far fetched, but it does help me keep in mind my responsibility to be cautious, well prepared and equiped, and sure footed when my son and I hike the trails.

Last edited:
Actually, having my wife along (she likes to hike fortunately) made hiking with our infants easier and more fun, because we could trade off carrying them, changing them, etc. My area of expertise was route finding, trip planning, etc and her area of expertise was telling me when I was about to do something totally idiotic like hike through a head-level canopy of raspberry bushes. (this actually happened.) Ouch! Not to mention the added safety. Good times.

Could I ask what is the problem with ladders? Would you consider the hundreds of steps on the Osseo Trail a ladder? As I think the Osseo Trail up Flume Mt. is a pleasant and wonderful trail and the steps make nice platforms to rest and rebalance. Just curious.

Gee, I thought there were some steep places coming down Jackson. Whatever that direct trail is down to 302, I forget its name off the top of my head.

I went up from Webster, and I think there was one good climb on that side, too. You certainly wouldn't want to have your feet go out from under you on any slick bog bridges or big drops (drops as a noun) down. Maybe I'm remembering it as worse than it was because it was somewhat snowy that day. Still, there can be mud any time.

Wouldn't something like Pierce and Eisenhower via the Crawford Path be safer?

I waited until my son was four before taking him up Monadnock, then we did Watatic, North Pack Monadnock, Wachusett, and Crotched over the next seven weeks, and Cadillac, South Turner, and Clay in the spring. He was able to walk most if not all of the way on these hikes.

askus3 said:
Could I ask what is the problem with ladders? Would you consider the hundreds of steps on the Osseo Trail a ladder? As I think the Osseo Trail up Flume Mt. is a pleasant and wonderful trail and the steps make nice platforms to rest and rebalance. Just curious.

I guess its not so much the going up of ladders, its going down. Anything really steep like that, and the pack is more likely to catch on a rung. Going down backwards puts my son in a precarious position if I slip, and often times the ladders are wet and slippery. Furthermore, trails with ladders typically have other nearby sections of slick rock, at least this has been my experience in the ADKs.

Raymond said:
I waited until my son was four before taking him up Monadnock, then we did Watatic, North Pack Monadnock, Wachusett, and Crotched over the next seven weeks, and Cadillac, South Turner, and Clay in the spring. He was able to walk most if not all of the way on these hikes.

I guess I am just not ready to put my hiking on hold for 4 years while my son grows. I have a deal with my wife which requires me to take him out, thus giving her a much needed break.

Colden has been up the folowing Mnts so far:

CT: Bear, Soapstone, Sleeping Giant
MA: Everett, Race
VT: Abraham, Killington
NY: Severance
NH: Moosilauke, Tecumseh

I figure next year he will be able to do some more hiking with his own legs, he already likes to be off on his own, and crys when I put him back in the pack.

-percious

Percious, there are several "kid friendly" hikes including peaks here in Mass sponsored by a local group. Feel free to pm and I'll give you more information if you wish. Keep doing what you are doing, I used to do the same thing and had a great time. Have fun.