NikWax and Scarpa Trek (Womens's)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatter_no1

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first time user here, so please excuse me if I am in the wrong forum.

I have recently purchased a Women's Scarpa Trek boots. I have purchased NikWax waterproofing, and was going to get some NikWax leather conditioner.

Does anyone know of any problems I might have by using the leather conditioner and a couple of days later then applying the waterproofing? Or should I just apply the waterproofing for their 1st application?

I have almost worn in the boots, and was going to finish softening them with the conditioner - but am leaving to go trekking in NZ in just a week (so needing to apply the waterproofing fairly soon).

Looking forward to hearing any of your thoughts on this :confused:

Linda

HI Linda,
I am not sure why the leather conditioner. If those boots are Full Grain leather, are almost broken in, I would just apply the Nikwax and leave it go. If the conditioner is going to soften them, it is going probably casue a loss of support

Also, you can always bring the Nikwax waterproofing with you for a quick application if you encounter extremely rainy weather.
Not sure what Nikwax you have Liquid or creme, but I do find that wet boot absorbe the liquid and hold it better than dry boots.
Cheers
Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that. I was thinking of conditioning just to soften the leather (which is full grain). They are my first pair of proper hiking boots, when I brought them I was told that the waterproofing will harden the leather - so not to put on while still wearing them in. Hence the reason for wanting them supple first before applying. I have the Nikwax creme (comes in the tin), which I was only going to apply on dry boots.

Linda

Nixwax

I use the Nixwax on Scarpa SL's (mens) and have not run into any problems. The SL's have the Sherpa NuBuck Leather uppers. I also applied it prior to wearing them for the first time.

I usually apply it to clean, dry or damp, boots after every few hikes. After wiping the excess off they look like new.