North and South Twin 7/14/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiker0200

Reaction score
Haven't posted a TR in a while, so here ya go :) . On 7/14/2014, I did a solo hike up North and South Twin from the Haystack Rd. parking area. The two peaks were #40 and 41 on the NH4K list for me.

I approached the Twins from the parking area on Haystack Rd, setting out on the 4.3 mile North Twin Trail at 7:55 AM. It and the herd path had easy grades all the way to the third crossing of Little River. The trail started out on an old road corridor of sorts, making a few minor stream crossings en route. At 0.8 mile, I came to the first Little River crossing and immediately veered left onto the herd path that bypassed this and the second crossing.

The herd path was very well-beaten, albeit rough in a few spots. At 1.3 mi, I rejoined the North Twin Trail and followed it up and down a steep bank to the third crossing (no herd path). Remembering that this crossing is difficult at high water, which it seemed to be today, I took off my socks and boots and waded across to the trail on the other side. Cold, but refreshing.

From here, the trail's grade picked up and I made a few more minor stream crossings. At this point, it was so humid that I was drenched in sweat, and I also doubted my ability to make it to South Twin. (This was all moot, as I ended up going over to it after all.) After the last one I remember, the grade became more moderate, then the trail swung left and became much steeper and rougher. It wasn't a long stretch, though, and at 4.2 mi, I came to an excellent outlook ledge, and at 4.3 mi, I arrived at North Twin's partially wooded summit. I investigated the outlook to the right, deduced that I had attained the tippity-top, then took a breather and headed over to South Twin.

The North Twin Spur had mostly easy to moderate grades its whole length, with the most difficult part being a series of scrambles a short distance below North Twin's summit. Near S. Twin's top, I came to another excellent outlook ledge, with the goal of the day just a few hundred feet away. Finally, 30 minutes after leaving N. Twin. I stood on the summit of my 41st NH 4,000 footer. The view was excellent (360 degrees) and included most of the Pemi peaks and the Presidentials. On the top, I chatted with a kind gentleman who was thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, and I gained a little insight on what doing so is like, which was awesome. Lunch break and then I headed back to North Twin, then I headed back to the trailhead, where I passed several groups that got a later start than I did; one group of people were hiking #48 (South Twin.) An excellent day with excellent views and people.

Here's a link to the video I made for this trip, if you're interested: http://youtu.be/ticNkswGgxg

Nice report and video, hiker. Congrats - sounds like the humidity added to the challenge. Which seven do you have left?

Moriah, Madison, Isolation, Owl's Head, Wildcat D, Carrigain, and West Bond.