North Brother Feb. 14-15 (Sunday and Monday)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
North Brother Feb. 14-15 (Sunday and Monday)

I need company for North Brother in Baxter State Park, Maine. That's a long haul, especially from northern NY State. I'm thinking of Presidents Weekend (Feb. 13-15) because it's more likely that others will have the time.
Currently, my idea is to drive to Maine Saturday, go in to Nesowadnehunk Field camping area on Sunday. Then, either
(A) Sunday drop gear at a lean-to and go for North Brother, come down, and camp. Monday hike/ski out. Start for home. Or
(B) Sunday maybe do some preparatory trail breaking as needed, return to Nes. Field and camp there. Monday, climb NB, descend, and go all the way out to car. Sleep somewhere. Return Tuesday.
NB is ~26 miles r/t from where we'd park on Telos Rd. It's just over 6 miles in from the car to the campground. I got a permit and reserved a lean-to in late December for Jan 3-4, but a double snowstorm canceled our plans. I still have the l-t money riding, and think the permit is still on file, but I'd have to amend it for a new partner(s). We won't have the option of sleeping in the bunkhouse because all 4 bunks are already reserved for those dates. But that means we may have help breaking out NB if needed.

I'm thinking of pulling my gear in on a sled, and maybe even skiing in. Maybe ski the 3 miles from the l/t to the start of the Marston Trail.
My hiking speed is probably in the lower half of moderate range. I don't handle really cold temperatures well, but it's hard to throw out numbers and say what would make me cancel. But here's a try. If the forecast for Millinocket said it wouldn't get above 0°F all day, it's unlikely I'd want to go for it.

Last edited:
Reservation made for Sunday, 2/14

Today after work I called BSP and reserved a leanto for Sunday night, the 14th.
I've paid for 2 people for one night, and the reservation/permit will say two people. If you'd like to join me, I think I need to call in your name by that Friday, 2/12. If there's more than one of you, I think I could also call in the extra $13/person. I'm not completely sure of the deadline on that, but think it's before the end of office hours that Friday.
The absolutely-trustworthy-long-range-forecast says no major snow before or during, and mild temperatures Sat-Mon. :D

We have a team heading in into Nesowadnehunk Field Saturday (2/13) morning. Our plan is to start early Sunday and ascend the Coe Slide. Primary objective is Coe, but if all goes well more ambitious team members may head across to North Brother. If we are successful much of the way will be broken out. If we're not successful I shudder to think how Hot donna will react :p

Make sure you stop by Cozy Cabin to say hi.

Last edited:
I've also heard from two others in your group. I'll try to get to Neso Field early enough to start out with you guys, though I haven't pulled off an early start yet this winter. My earliest was 9:00AM, and the latest was 12:45PM!:eek: If I manage to start with you, keeping up may be another matter.

Hi Mark, I meet you in winter 2006 on Marshall in the Daks.

I would had joined you but had other plan for next weekend in the
Daks. It took us two attemp the first winter to hike NB and we find
it lot easier on the long day hike from Abol bridge that the approach
that you will follow. On the day hike it is 16.5 mile to reach the
summit of NB. I had lot of difficulty to find some parthner until I ask
Pinpin. He answer me why not give it a try and can we had more summit...
Soo that weekend Pinpin hike the Kathadin and N.Brother-Fort on two
consecutive long day hike...and on the 3rd day he was not even tired.

It was the first time that Pinpin and the 3rd went out of the Daks in the
winter.

Have lots off fun in Maine.

I will be doing NB on the 15th and 16th

Mark lets get in touch I have the cabin on the 16th and would like to join you if you would like.