North Fork of the Boquet and Cascade

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxegraphix

Reaction score
Took a day and a half off for a two-part adventure into indolence.
Parked on 73 and headed up the Boquet to the falls about a mile in. I was lucky to have from 9 to noon or so alone at the falls. I burned a roll of film in about 5 minutes, swam in 4 or 5 pools and napped in the sun. After that a lot of people joined me. I'm used to the solitude of winter so I was kind of surprised at seeing 20 or so people in the woods.

I packed up my stuff around 4 and headed back to the car for part two-- a sunset hike up Cascade. I left that trailhead sometime after 6 and got up to the top a little after 7. I passed some folks on their way down who warned me about getting back before dark.

Even though it might be considered stupid to elect to hike in the dark, it's kind of liberating to be heading the wrong way. Anyway, the sunset was building when I hit the first ledge which is below the Porter jct. I paused long enough to realize I had to hammer if I wanted the full sunset view up top.
There was a group of 5 or 6 guys up on top when I got there. They left soon after I got there.
As someone said about a hundred years ago, I won't do the sunset the injustice of trying to describe it. It was kind of cool to have a 360 view of old friends and see them in a different light.
Anyway I headed down at dark and had a relatively easy time of it thanks to my Black Diamond Lamp.
You know your headlamp is good when a cloud of moths follows you down the mountain.

10 to 15 years ago, you could have sat at those falls all day in the middle of July and not seen a soul. Unfortunately they have become "discovered." Still the North Fork is probably my favorite area of the Adirondacks.

10 to 15 years

Can you imagine what Old Phelps would think of what we've done to the mountains?