Northville - Placid Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Piesco to Lake Durant Aug 2nd to Aug 6th, 2004
Six Scout's from Troop 15 in Glen Rock, N.J. and two adult leaders.

I would like to start off by saying that I'm still floored by Tim Seaver's time of 5 hr 5 min for the Damn Wakely Dam Run, 32 miles.

Day 1: Piesco to Spruce Lake lean to #2, 10.5 miles
Spruce Lake is a beautiful body of water about a mile long with three Lean-To's, we saw 2 loons and a blue heron

Day 2: Spruce Lake to Cedar Lakes Dam lean-to, 11.8 miles
This section has a lot of rolling hills, Sampson's Bog is a nice place for a break (say hello to the snake on the far side of the bridge).
We got in to Cedar Lakes Dam just in time, the heavens opened up with over 2 inches of rain in an hour. Another group of scouts were not as lucky, they were looking for a place to stay at 8 p.m. and were soaking wet, they ended up on the other side of the dam camped on the beach.

Day 3: Cedar Lakes Dam to Wakely Dam, 9.5 miles
Carry lean-to ( the head of canoe navigation on the Cedar River Flow). This is a great place for luch or as a return kayak trip. The trail becomes a logging road from here to the gate and than another 1.3 miles to the camping area (If you can avoid this area and continue along the road towards McCanes, do so) Wakely
Camp Ground a group of people with RV's, genarators, TV's and beer. After the past 2 days and the current days hike, Wakely was a big let down.

Day 4: Wakely to Stephen's Pond, 9.5 miles
Much of this section is a dirt to gravel to paved road, there is a great spring on the left about the 4 mile point. At 6.75 you return to the woods, (I advise contacting Mr. John Macaluso 518 648 6473 to gain permission to cross his property) at about 8 miles there is a large washout, the water was over my knees (I'm 6' 1") We got to Stephen"s pond and dried out boots and spent the day swimming and talking of our past week.

Day 5: Stephen's Pond to Lake Durant. 3 miles to Rt 28/30
We were up earlier than usual and on the trail by 6 a.m.We had spotted two cars on Rt 28/30 on Monday and our plan was breakfast at the Long Lake Diner and a float plane ride from Helm's Areo Service. After our flight we were off to base camp
Floodwood Scout Reservation for an afternoon of rock climbing and repelling, we had a Great week and the boys are already talking about next year.