NP Trail: McCane's Land Closed to Dayhikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiseAboveHiker

Reaction score
As per this month's issue of Adirondac :

"The NP Trail is now closed where the route passes over private land at the former McCane's Resort on the Cedar River Road. Parking is no longer allowed at this location; DEC will be removing signs. Those wishing to hike to Stephen's Pond should enter from Lake Durant Campground to the North. However the landowner will permit "through hikers" on the NP to pass if prior permission is obtained. To obtain permission, contact John Macaluso, 204 Cedar River Rd, Indian Lake, NY 12842, 518-648-6473"

I'm guessing that this land has changed owners?? Did the article say whether or not the DEC will designate a new trail??? I know for a while now that the DEC has wanted to divert the trail in this area so that a hiker doesn't have to hike the road...

I'll also guess after taking numerous phone calls that this policy may change in the long run. think about it, how many through hikers or section hikers, ahem, I mean "through hikers" will call this guy up each month looking to get permission to travel on his land??? what if nobody is home to grant permission and the respected party is leaving the next day???

Last edited:
Here's the rest of the article:

"A new route from Wakely Dam to Stephen's Pond, avoiding private land, has not yet been approved, but is part of the draft Unit Management Plan for this area. Questions about this area may be emailed to DEC Supervising Forester Richard Fenton at [email protected]."

Any alternative to the dirt and asphalt roads between WakelyDam and Stephen's Pond has got to be a welcome addition to the Northville Placid Trail.

I was too lazy to write the rest of the article the first time around. ADackR you're good -- you caught me twice. :)