Old Bridle Path Monday 11/5 - a.k.a. Strike two swinging for Lafayette!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffAm1

Reaction score
So, about three weeks ago, I tried to reach the peak of Lafayette via Falling Waters and although I successfully peaked Haystack, I didn't have all my winter gear in tow to battle the frigid temps and howling wind to continue on. Well, after taking a day off from work in anticipation of the 'relatively' good weather forecast for the north country today, I tried again. BTW, thanks again for the words of encouragement and prep from 'peakbagger', 'Ed'n Lauky', and 'Driver8' to my earlier post - very much appreciated.

As I passed exit 32 about 6:30am, the low ceiling and consistent snow cover across all peaks told me I was in for a challenging day. That it was.

After a quick stop for a coffee, I headed over to Lafayette Place only to find the road coated with snow, but things seemed to be clearing (or so I hoped). There was only a dusting of snow at the trailhead and was easily navigable for the first 20 minutes. As I made my way up, the snowfall returned and became a steady flurry, the trail condition was good however, not much ice under the powdery snow so microspikes were unnecessary. At the hour mark, the snowfall increased, becoming heavier. The ground had about 3" of cover, still the trail was fine, but I was becoming increasingly concerned that my hope of attaining the summit was not to be. That was confirmed after trekking another 15 mins when the snow really kicked in to near white-out conditions. That was my cue to descend - the mountain will be there another day. Upon finding some brief shelter under a pine tree, I put on the microspikes and began heading back. I am glad I did. Although by the time I reached the parking lot, it had cleared, within the next half hour, the notch was darkened again by clouds and consistent snowfall/flurries. Other than a few woodpeckers, the only other life I encountered today was a young family prepping for a quick hike.

Hope this report helps, it's my first on vftt, so critiques are appreciated :)

Happy trails....image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

P.s. a big thank you too to LRiz for all her help in getting me prepped and equipt to start tackling all 48 4k-ers!

Last edited:
Way to go, its worth going up Lafayette in perfect weather as the views are worth it. If you really have go out on a less than ideal day, do one of the summits that dont have good views like Galehead or Mt Hale.

Very good report, Jeff, and I agree that your decision-making was smart. How high up on OBP did you get? Did you get to the big left turn just past the views of the ridge, where it starts to get ledgy? Just past that to the overlooks about 1/4 mile later? Hoping for your sake you got to take in some views - I'm sure there were more than I had in the deciduous-forested section, anyway, since the leaves will have been all down. Glad you had a good, if truncated trip.

It chafes at the ambition having to turn back, this I know from a couple of turned-around tries at Mt. Washington before I summited on the third try. But sometimes it is a must in dangerous terrain and conditions or if the hike is simply bigger than one's stamina can handle. But you're right - those pretty mountains will still be there, and there will be better days for climbing.

Great to hear we have another fellow hiker in search of the 48 peaks in NH over 4000 ft. Your goal will become a trail of fantastic memories and experiences that you will never forget. Enjoy the path!

Lafayette is a fickle peak. Many times, it's in the clear when you start and when you finish yet will be in the clouds when you're actually up there. It sits fully-exposed to the prevailing NW wind and this often generates that famous condition known as "up-slope moisture".

Good luck, and when you get a good day, it is spectacular!

Tim