Osceolas from Greeley Ponds Trail and Mt Osceola Trails 1/10/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 1/10/13
Parking off Kanc; room for ~ 10 cars. Only me and one other today.

Trail conditions (will change with upcoming rain and warm spell):
Greeley Ponds trail : hard packed snow with some frozen shallow post holes, all water crossing either frozen, wood bridged , snow bridged or easy step-overs. One easy step over blow-down with branches trimmed off.

Mt Osceola trail going up to east O.: Very icy above 2800’ solid ice-flows full width of trail. From E.O to Mt O. : packed trail, with 1-2 inches of blown over light snow some ice but not nearly as bad as going up East O. By-pass on chimney wasn’t too bad, but probably dulled my crampons some.

Special Equipment: GP trail, could bare boot, micro spikes, or snow shoe (I used micro spikes up to 2800’ on Mt. O trail . Above 2800’ I would highly recommend crampons, I would have turned around if I didn’t have mine. I used crampons for rest of the hike.

Comments , Only me and one other hiker with his dog on the trail. I had a hard time coming down off east even with crampons and poles, but other hiker seemed to do okay with just yaktrax (I think) and no poles by going off trail at worst points. My time ~ 10 hrs (I am one slow hiker :) )

-Marvin

Last edited: