Our first snow of 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Last weekend southern Rhode Island (it's a state) got a nice snow dump. North Kingstown got about 9 inches. So Sunday seemed like a good day for a hike in the John H. Chafee Nature Preserve. If you're ever in the mood to intentionally make yourself feel like an underachiever, compare your life to that of John Chafee. Not impressed by the political acheivements, but the years from 1942 to 1952 are stunning. Imagine him meeting a girl in 1953 and she asks him, "So what did you do when you were in your 20's?" His reply: "Well, not much really. I left Yale to fight as a Marine infantryman on Guadalcanal, then on Okinawa. Then after the War I graduated from Yale, then I graduated from Harvard Law. Then I got called back into the Marine Corps and as a Captain I led an infantry unit fighting in the mountains of North Korea. Why do you ask?"

Anyway, the hike takes you through the woods out to the bay. There's a straight direct route, and also a few side trails. The whole thing is only a couple of miles, but what do you expect, this is RI. Nice to finally get some snow....it was all gone four days later.

This arch reminded me of the elk antler arch in Jackson Hole, but without all the rich people nearby.
IMG0625edited-1-M.jpg

I like accidentally finding stone wall in the woods. I also like semi-frozen bodies of water.
IMG0630edited-1-M.jpg

It takes a lot to surprise me, but I have to confess I wasn't expecting to find a car in the woods.
IMG0634edited-1-M.jpg

Anyone know the make, model, and year? If not, I'll ask Ralph or Potsie.
IMG0636edited-1-M.jpg

At the turnaround point is the bay, where the harbor seals hang out. We saw about two dozen of them, but too far for my 4x zoom. Ran into a guy with an awesome spotting scope. He let us look through it. Cool. He reminded me of the wolfies who hang out in Lamar Valley in Yellowstone looking through their scopes in -10F.
IMG0637edited-1-M.jpg

Ok, this was less suprising than seeing the car in the middle of the woods, but I still wasn't expecting this either. Not sure why a horse would wear gaiters but no boots.
IMG0642edited-1-M.jpg

Nice tree tunnel
IMG0647edited-1-M.jpg

At the high-tide line, the snow went from zero to 8 inches real fast.
IMG0649edited-1-M.jpg