Outer Layer(s) for winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jkrew81 said:
http://www.psychovertical.com/?thebestsoftshell

I have been using Marmmot driclime top and bottoms under my softshells for years with success...
I also have the Marmot driclime setup and love it. The driclime windshirt is my all-time favorite piece of technical clothing. Because it can be worn alone, as an outer layer, or as a mid layer it's great for temps from the 50's to below zero (with the proper other layers).

Maybe I will ask Santa to get me a softshell for Christmas. Waterproof is definitely not something I expect -- I expect to get wet (damp anyway) and still stay warm, and I would be very much in favor of it drying quickly. Kind of sounds like the buzz around the soft shell, as it advertises wind-proof-ness which is missing from the current solution (without another layer which traps sweat.)

I read the psychovertical link and some of the garments recommended at the top don't have the hoods which are "required" (to meet the author's definition of a soft shell.)

I'm looking for garments that can service at least 2, and preferrably 3 of cycling, hiking and skiing. Since cycling is the first love, most of the clothing budget goes there and I attempt to reuse anything I can. Fishing is a completely different beast and I'm all set there -- no problem with high heart rates in cold weather.

Tim

p.s. my regular hiking, cycling and skiing partner drinks, on average, 25-33% as much as I, hikes and cycles in cotton T-shirts, and is never wet. He's very experienced, and "knows" the "evils" of cotton, yet they don't seem to apply to him. Very annoying!!!

bikehikeskifish said:
I'm looking for garments that can service at least 2, and preferrably 3 of cycling, hiking and skiing. Since cycling is the first love, most of the clothing budget goes there and I attempt to reuse anything I can.
While the Marmot does not have a hood, I have never found that to be a bad thing as long as you have a windshirt or another softshell with a hood. This would also be a good cycling piece as the back of the shirt has a longer tail ( probably to make it easier to tuck in) like most cycling jackets.