Outrigger canoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
I posted some shots I took of outrigger canoes at the Maunalua Bay Beach Park down the road from my house. Figured some of you might enjoy them:

2600-650.jpg

Small gallery is at:
http://www.vftt.org/HI/070902-canoes/

The shots with shallow depth of field (blurry backgrounds) are my attempt to try to get something that will look nice printed on canvas.

I have a one man outrigger that I bought used. After a decade (or more) of kayaking, I am still trying to get down with the canoe stroke. :( So far I much prefer my ocean kayak, but hey, when in Hawaii do as the Hawaiians do.

Aloha

- darren

interesting photos

must say I'm pretty clueless as to the outrigers...I figure the ones in the pictures are two man... or do they get into 4 person and what not?
From time to time I see some race result from out there..the ones I see are mostly for one man..so is that in the 22ft range ?

I recently read a story.."River of Doubt" and a bit of history about Teddy Roosevelt canoeing 1,000 miles of a tribitaty of the Amazon in dugout canoes.

Figure that the history of outriggers is that of dugouts... logs burnt then hollowed out.. that early travelers adapted for Ocean travel by adding outriggers literally tying them on much like your photos show...seems to make sense ...any idea if that is true..?

Last edited:
Actually, those are 6 man (person) canoes. They are 40 feet long and weigh about 300 lbs.

You are right on the size of the one man canoes, mine is 21.5' long, but it only weighs 26 lbs (fully rigged). It is carbon fiber.

The 6 man canoes (with a good crew) is insanely fast. They do like 11 or 12 knots. It is unreal.

Here is a shot from a race yesterday:

2866-800.jpg

That will give you an idea of how they are jammed in there.

- darren

Awesome pictures! I like the polo ones too! Hawaii Polo / Porsche. Sounds like a hoity toity society. Nice cup too. I've played polo on mountain bikes. Not much money involved :eek: but fun :D .

I read that River of Doubt. Awsome, awsome journey they made. Teddy boy was lucky to come out alive.

IndianChris said:
Awesome pictures! I like the polo ones too! Hawaii Polo / Porsche. Sounds like a hoity toity society. Nice cup too. I've played polo on mountain bikes. Not much money involved :eek: but fun :D .

I read that River of Doubt. Awsome, awsome journey they made. Teddy boy was lucky to come out alive.

Thanks.

There isn't too much that is hoity toity in Hawaii. Even at the polo game with team porche, you can just drive your car right up to the side of the field, pull out your cooler of beer and your grill and have at it. Very cool actually.

I posted the rest of the photos I took at the canoe race:

http://www.vftt.org/HI/070908-bigboy/index.htm

I got shots at the start, from two different cliffs along the route, and at the finish. Cool day.

- darren