Overnight near Owls Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson

Reaction score
I'm doing Owls Head Sun. from Lincoln Woods and thinking I might take it slow and camp somewhere near the base and return Mon. Any good spots 2-300 ft off trail? Also anyone else doing such a thing then??

We did Owl's Head as an overnight last summer. Our site was a small open spot that we reached by crossing the river right across from the cairn at the slide. (I believe there was also a sign on the cairn-side of the river indicating no camping, which is where we crossed.) It was a legal site and roomy enough for a small tent -- you wouldn't be able to fit a lot of people there though.

There are lots of illegal campsites along the way -- but don't be tempted as the rangers said they go through and tell people to leave fairly regularly. A lot of the illegal sites are posted for no camping.

- Ivy

The proper place to camp near Owl's Head, as told to me by a ranger, is that on the Lincoln Woods trail, you will see a logging road that goes off in a westward direction. Around 200' up that road are spots where people camp. Remember, you only need to be 200' off the trail, not off the old logging road. :)