Paddle from Padanaram to Little River Bridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Six-pack Dan

Reaction score
Last Saturday Carmel and I paddled the South Dartmouth, MA coast from the village of Padanaram to the Little River Bridge. We spotted my car on Potomska Road just past the the Little River bridge and drove in Carmel's truck with two kayaks down to the village. We put our yaks in at the public boat ramp and were soon paddling under another small bridge (dodging some fishing lines from some folks casting from up above) and out into the harbor. It was a spectacular day. By 9:00 a.m. the temperature was about 75 degrees with low humidity and a light SW wind. To the East we could see the cluster of small shops and shipyard buildings that comprise the village. Padanaram is now a mostly residential area with some small businesses and shops but it retains the historical feeling of the old New England town that was a ship builiding center and minor whaling port in the 18th and 19th century. We threaded our way South into Appongansett Bay past many sleek yachts, and some fine summer homes on the Western shore.
After about an hour of steady cruising, we headed out into Buzzard's Bay. To the South, we could see a vast expanse of water with tiny ships in the distance. On the shoreline, a long expanse of sandy beaches and the occasional house emerging from the pine woods behind the beach. After another hour, an enormous mansion loomed up over the sand dunes with a large radio dish on a hill nearby. We paddled in to the beach for a little rest and to check out the scene. We had reached Round Hill point, the famous estate of Colonel Edward Green. In 1917, Green and his sister Sylvia had inherited 200 million dollars from their mother Hetty Green aka "the Witch of Wall Street". Unlike his mother, who was reportedly the meanest and stingiest persons who ever lived, Green was very generous and extravagant in spending his inheritence. He bought the 270 acre property in South Dartmouth and proceeded to build a 1.5 million dollar mansion, along with his own private airport and radio station. He allowed scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to use part of the property to conduct experiments in radio communication, high voltage, and meteorology. The giant radio antenna built by MIT still stands as a landmark for sailors on Buzzards Bay. The mansion has recently been turned into a gated condo community.
After a quick swim and fueling up on cheese doodles, we paddled toward Mishaum Point, and passed by a new mansion still under construction. Mishaum Point is a long penninsula jutting into the Bay with a commanding view in all directions. I cannot confirm rumors that it is owned by that nitwit T-M CR--SE. Anyway, Carmel and I turned the point and headed back North towards the mouth of the Slocums and Little river. Tide was low;we had to portage the boats over a large sand bar stretching in in front of the two rivers. By 1:00 we reached our destination: the side of the Little River Bridge. Some folks were nearby fishing for stripers (without much luck they told me).We, however, felt lucky to have completed a nice 10 mile paddle in such great weather and surroundings.http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559715011gFaUct

Last edited:
Nice trip report and nice pix. Looks like home...like I never left.

and drove in Carmel's truck with two kayaks

Hey....wait a minute.....that is MY truck. :eek:

I can't believe that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are building a house down the street from me. Ugh.....there goes the neighborhood. If they knock on my door trying to give me L Ron Hubbard books I am moving.

- darren

Mahalo nui loa

The webmaster speaks the truth. I not only used HIS truck for this expedition, I also borrowed his kayak (though not the forbidden one). Much thanks and gratitude to the man on the island. By the way, his Wilderness systems Sealution II tracked very well. I didn't have to use the rudder until the last leg of the trip, when Carmel and I were heading in to the Little River with a very strong outgoing tide. It was a blue moon afterall. By the way, I apologize to Tom and Katie in the event that they join the VFTT website. In the future I will not call anyone a nitwit, nincompoop, nutjob or any other derogatory words that begin with the letter 'N".

Happy Independence Day everyone!
Sixpack Dan :cool:

Last edited:
I can't believe that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are building a house down the street from me.
Or, maybe he will come to a Gathering and lip sync in his underwear whilst sliding across the floor... :D

Nice TR!

I need to get my kayak out of storage and dusted off... :(

One of these days, one of these days...

:)