Passaconway 1/28/12-Kanc to Ferncroft

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi

Reaction score
Oliverian Brook-Passaconway Cutoff-Square Ledge-Walden-Dicey's Mill to Ferncroft
Second tracks up Oliverian made for tough going for me, and especially Yogi as the thin crust on top of 4"-6" of corn snow was not really enough to hold his 40lb weight down low, but better higher up as the crust got thicker.
Snowshoes all the way to the Walden Trail junction. Tough going on the steeps on Cutoff and Square Ledge. As you would break through the crust you would occasionally slide back in the corn. Super slick, slow going. Frustrating and tiresome. Crampon's worked much better after I changed for the steep up to the summit; I left them on the entire way down with no issues. A few easy blowdowns on the way up and down, with only one on Cutoff that needed to be skirted. All water crossings a piece of cake. Dicey's was packed out nice and was fast and smooth.
Thanks to the nice gentleman from Boston for not only breaking trail for me, but sharing some awesome chocolate pound cake on the summit.