Paving underway in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gram

Reaction score
Paving resumed Thursday, 5/17, with sign saying to expect long delays. Road is down to one lane with north and south traffic taking turns.

Hopefully they don't work on weekends. It certainly was slow on Thursday.

Despite a late start (for us) we got to Franconia Notch today (Sunday) around 7:45 am. Very little traffic AND were able to pass under the bridge to get to the tram parking lot for the KRT....in case anyone is wondering if that is accessible w/o an extended pre-trail walk. I'd wondered and saw no posts.

They did work through the weekend. To go from Route 3 south to 93 south you had to turn down 141 and pick up the highway a little further north. The detour was well-marked and easy and only added about 3-5 minutes to the drive.

The bigger backup was the one-lane section of I-93 south through Tilton, because it includes the on-ramp, so whenever the traffic light up above turns green and a long line of cars flows to the highway, traffic basically stops as everyone tries to merge together.

They did work through the weekend. To go from Route 3 south to 93 south you had to turn down 141 and pick up the highway a little further north. The detour was well-marked and easy and only added about 3-5 minutes to the drive.
That is not the paving job, they are repairing the Rte. 3 bridge over I-93 so it's closed even if they are not working such as at night.