Pemi Loop Advise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adksteve

Reaction score
I'm looking to do the Pemi Loop clockwise over a three day backpack trip. My hope is to make Garfield Shelter on day one over Franconia Ridge. Day two at Guyot and day three out the Bonds. If we have any juice left we were planning to stay another night and climb Owl Head for a total of 13 peaks on this trip.

Any suggestions or adise would be appreciated. :eek:

Day 1 is fairly difficult but most do try for Garfield. To me that section from Lafayette to Garfield just never seems to end and is the roughest of the day.

Have fun, it's a great hike.

I was hoping to do the same hike, different camping locations, but to do it in 1 overnight. Is this too ambitious? I can usually do about 2mph with a 40-45lb pack and plan on going WAY lighter this time around, so hopefully will increase speed.

some do this "loop" in a day no? Not THIS someone but I know some do. Please correct me if im wrong.

M

I think the people who do it in a day are more trail runners. Personally I like to move at decent pace - but want to enjoy it as well.

Its about 35 miles I think - give or take. I am in the beginning stages of planning one for weekend of 9/23 - I could do it as one overnighter if you want company.

I was planning something along the lines of a leaving mass on a friday afternoon hike in - go for liberty springs campsite that night - guyot the sat night and then hike the bonds out from there.

If you want company drop me a line

I have it listed in trips and events - but nobody bit - I am not really a loner -so would like company on something this long. it just makes it more fun.

giggy said:
I think the people who do it in a day are more trail runners. Personally I like to move at decent pace - but want to enjoy it as well.

Its about 35 miles I think - give or take. I am in the beginning stages of planning one for weekend of 9/23 - I could do it as one overnighter if you want company.

I was planning something along the lines of a leaving mass on a friday afternoon hike in - go for liberty springs campsite that night - guyot the sat night and then hike the bonds out from there.

I have it listed in trips and events - but nobody bit - I am not really a loner -so would like company on something this long. it just makes it more fun.

I have another coming with me as well and we were looking at close to those dates...so maybe it'll work out. I will let you know. thanks

M

giggy said:

I was actually thinking of arriving at trailhead on a Friday morning giving myself the whole day friday to make it as far as humanly possible...early start saturday and to car by late sat afternoon..I was thinking minimum of 15miles a day. this way I can get back home late sunday afternoon. I live in Jersey so its a LONG drive. I base out of Killington though, so i'd head up there Thursday night.

Thought on this scenario? I am always skeptical of hiking with people I dont know as maybe my thougts are more ambitious than my actual body can handle and I hate looking foolish :D , but always up for meeting new people and I can push myself if need be.

M

that might work - would have to see about work - I am haeding to ireland right after this and getting the time off might be a problem - but maybe not.