Pharoah Lake (ADKs) Ski Condtitions???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailhead

Reaction score
Has anyone skied into Pharoah Lake recently? I'm planning a ski trip in via Mill Brook this weekend and wanted to know if conditions were any good, especially after today's tropical heat wave.
Santinoni Camp is my fall-back plan.
Thanks!

A party hiked in over the new years to ice climb pharoah. From the pics, it was all ice the whole way in.... in fact i think they said that if they had brought the ice skate, the trip out would have been a breeze :)

Of course that was a couple weeks ago... but we really havent gotten much snow at all since then, and the warm and cold snaps only make that ice grow!

Thanks, this winter has been a bit disappointing so far for skiing. Looks like I'll be headed to Newcomb this weekend.

i wouldn't expect to find much over there. sara and i were skiing last weekend in blue mtn lake area and tupper lake area. both areas had had about 6-9in of snow. the eastern part of the park usually only benefits when nor'easters hit....

right now i'm holding out in the lake effect prone areas. specifically the old forge and tug hill plateau regions. i looked at some web cams this morning and old forge has about 2 inches same with tug hill... both regions (as of now) expect to get 2-5in through saturday and more saturday into sunday....

in the old forge area i'm thinking on skiing a loop around cascade lake and also doing black bear mtn....

in the tug hill, i've been looking at a couple nature trails/ parks to ski on

good luck finding the snow, oh yeah one more thing, you should be able to ski santinoni, i wsa up there last week near cheney pond/lester flow and the woods had a good 10-12in of snow

***************edited to add below message..

Backcountry Conditions:

Snow Depth at Lake Colden: 14 inches
Snow Depth at 4,000 ft.: 2- 2-1/2 feet
Surface Conditions: wet powder
Comments: Avalanche Pass reported to be skiable as of last weekend and through the week. Most of the base should have survived this latest thaw, so with an inch or two of new snow it may still be skiable this weekend. Marcy Dam and Fish Pond truck trails plus Newcomb Lake Road should also still have a base and will be possibilities for the weekend. Whiteface Highway likely has some bare sections, but if we get the 2-3 inches that are possible today it will be back in good shape. Other possibilities include the Hays Brook Truck Trail north of Paul Smiths and the roads north and south of Little Tupper Lake. Remember that skis or snowshoes are required for travel in the High Peaks when the snow depth is 8" or greater.

Last edited: