Plastic Boot Problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, lace the inner boot comfortably snug, but keep the plastic outer boot loose! Especially when walking on nearly level ground. This will make your life better!

Seems like it's any plastic boot

I have Scarpa Invernos, wore the skin right off my left shin on Lafayette. After a long healing period (prolonged by wearing the new skin off on my second attempt to wear the damn things :mad: ). Then HIKER ED told me to "just pull them on and tuck the laces out of the way" - they've been fine ever since, completely unlaced except for the inner boot. Fine for hiking, probably NOT fine for ice climbing (which I don't do). The general trend to the advice is to loosen them up - I had to loosen mine up to the extreme. Good luck!!!

jfb said:
Although I don't have those boots, I usually lace my boots so the laces are fairly tight over the foot, then tie a surgeon's knot at the ankle-joint hooks, then lace the top loosely. This provides lots of flex at the top of the boot and prevents shin bang.

If you haven't heard of a surgeon's knot, it's two overhand knots in-line (I think that's what it's called).

I've been lacing all my boots like this for years. The problem will be worse climbing and on the flats so i lace snug on the vamp section then looser above the surgeon's knot. Sidestepping a bit more to lessen the flex angle also helps the problem and your achillies will be happier. I found it even more important on my T4 Scarpa Ski boots on a test walk this weekend!!

I was leary when i bought plastics because people seem to either love em or hate um, not much middle ground! I love mine!

"I avoid wearing mine unless it's a no brainer situation."

Cantdog,

What's a no-brainer situation? I wear leather boots all winter, hiking and camping. What are you implying?

Ski Socks can help

I also use downhill ski socks which have extra padding on the shin. Can't hurt. My wife used the foam pad trick with some success, but it was awkward.
Ed

Thanks all! Reducing friction and increasing padding seem to be the prevailing answers here.

I was wearing a pair of insulated pants that had an inner leg that goes into the boot so next time, I'll try them with "regular" pants to reduce friction, I'll keep the inner boot tight and the top of the outer boot loose. I'll also look into some thicker socks.

I'm just glad to hear that it's not an issue with my Scarpas! Other than that issue, I really like them.

Seems that everyone overtightens plastics when they first try them. These are "serious boots" so they oughtta be seriously tight-Ouch!
Snug the bottoms and leave some room for shins at the uppers.
Also keep in mind that plastics are tough on the feet unless your in at least 4-5" of snow on a trail,as they don't flex with your stride.

I used to tell new plastic boot owners that you dont break in plastics, they break you in.

Ummm. I did a week out in my leathers and never got cold. I ghess I dont hayve a brane....

Thanks again all! This weekend, I wore my Scarpas as I did Lincoln and Lafayette. I had them laced tight over the toe and loose over the ankle. I also kept my pants out of the boots and I had no problems!

I did not wear crampons so, I don't know if the problem will return when I do but, this hike was pain-free!! :)