Plum Island Refuge...Mass

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
Marilyn and I did our 1st 20 mile trip in the tandem the other day.
We did a circumnavgation of Plum Island on a most beautiful day.
Here is the report (I hope) if anyone has interest to read it.

Circumnavigation of Plum Island, "little miss muddee knows" rides again

Well the tides, time and weather held perfect for our go around of Plum Island (Wed 9-2-09).
Low tide was 5ish at Plum Island Sound. I had been thinking about leaving Pavillon Beach Ipswich. With a 7 am start Marilyn and I could head up the ocean side of Sandy Point and Plum Island and save the "pretty part "or the estuary for the return portion of the trip.
In realitiy..
... 7 am finds us at the local Dunkin Dounuts and 8am finds us pushing off the beach in the Boreal Design Beluga (it's a tandem) heading up the estuary. The decision was made that we didn't want to be worried about running out of water on the return. We wanted a stress free ride. "Pas problem mon ami"
High tide rendezvous was 10:45ish at the mouth of the Merrimack River. Figured we had plenty of time, but was relieved non the less when I checked our speed at just under 6 mph. No great paddling on our part we were just riding the tide. Didn't get to poke around to much, but were still able to enjoy the egrets and some various "flighty feathered friends".
Green alligators and long necked geese were in short supply...Unicorns unseen indeed.

Pulling into the Refuge launch ramp up by the main entrance we were surprised to find... or not to find as it were... the little building that had always been there with the rest rooms and a separate information/ exhibt section. It had been there since before I could remember, so that was a bit of a shocker. Handy houses were in the parking area. Hope they plan on building another visitor place like the last one ...small but friendly.

After a little snack break we headed up stream towards the draw bridge. We were really surprised how big and nice and wide the creeck is through there... at low tide it is such a muddy mess that I had thought high tide would just kind of fill it up like a ditch full of water, but instead it was a fine looking easy to paddle mini river. The current had been against us since before our snack break as the flood tide fills in the estuary from both ends not just the Pavillion end. Pleased to be right on target time wise there was no real push to the current and we headed on up and out the Merrimack ( 1st time for us) staying on the Island side instead of crossing over to Sailsbury Beach State Park...mostly just to stay out of the boat traffic in the area.

Seas were calm and wind was light as promised...it was a gorgeous day and no need to worry about water levels. We swung around the breakwater and landed on the beautiful sandy beach that continued as far as the eye could see. Another short sunny "munch-athon" and we were on our way.

Noticed another paddler in what looked like an old style surf boat. Turned out to be an old Dagger white water boat...fellow said it was about 25 years old. Very cool, and scooted right along catching any hint of a wave or ripple to accelerate.

Knew there was no landing on the refuge property so for the most part we didn't.
Still it irked me no end, to look over on the beach and watch pick-up trucks and campers driving up and down the beach.
It has something to do with surf fishing and permits, but it burns me big time when you watch them drive through a flock of birds.... that the refuge is supposed to be a refuge for...
and it sure doesn't help the dunes any either.
(okay, not the place to go off on a big rant about it)

Moving right along...it was a long haul paddling down to Sandy Point.
Long and quite beautiful to see all that endles sand that is such a nice change from the rocky shores that we often find up north.
Also surprised how far off shore we were to round the rocky section of Sandy Point where the water gets rough...were the going get tough and the tough get going...or some such thing.

On this day it was calm as could be and we swung around for a landing on Sandy Point and hang out for, of course, more picknik goodies.
Pat ourselves on the back for our 1st 20 miler and generaly soak up the sun..no I wasn't lookng at any bikinis...nor she any buff guys..
Back to the car by five and off to Woodmans to end the day.

Last edited:
What a great trip. I love that area.

I paddled down the estuary a few years ago. I checked a tide chart first, but what I didn't realize is that parts of the estuary dry up completely at low tide. I had to get out and drag the boat over the mud flats on the way back.
I seem to remember that the tides were in the 6-foot range.

Excellent trip, thanks for writing.

Whenever I see your SPOT reports I always wonder about the story behind the position. Now I know about this one.

Did you notice a flotilla of strange houseboat type craft at the SW end of Plum Island Sound? Bob Hicks, editor and publisher of "Messing About in Boats", tells me these craft have a long history of ownership by various local families and to get a mooring out there is a source of great competition. The moorings don't become available very often as they are passed down through generations.

Trudy...Thanks, it is a pretty area. Love estuaries they're all full of life. We remember running out of water the 1st time we went down there all excited to paddle in there...did a bunch knucle draging that day trying to squeak along to deeper water. Finally had to wait for the tide to return and float us out.
But this trip...older and wiser....or so we tell ourselves.

Stan... sure did notice the house boats. Always get a kick out of seeing house boats this far north.
Pretty darn creative all the differnt styles and methods of keeping them afloat.
Didn't realize that there was such a tradition there with people viying for moorings and all.

Happy paddling!

Last edited: