Puzzle (3142') and Long (3021'), the easy way, 9/25

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhrsebago

Reaction score
I opted to ascend these peaks via Branch Rd (drivable) and Skyline Drive (a signed gated logging road/snowmobile trail, not labelled in the DeLorme) to the Grafton Loop Trail in the col between the peaks; this saved considerable distance compared to starting at the Loop trailhead and going over Puzzle to Long and back. The section to Long follows a heavily logged area most of the way, but southerly views through the trees were more esthetically pleasing. Summit of Long so close to the trail that it hardly qualifies as a whack. Jar found on the ground and rehung. By contrast the trail from the col up Puzzle was gorgeous; open hardwood forest giving way to equally open conifers until near the summit. A herd path here meandered painfully ( I finally just went uphill). Enjoyed a late lunch just below the summit on a section of glacially striated bedrock with stunning views of the Mahoosucs, the Presis and beyond. A crisp, cool, beautiful day to be in the mountains!

Mhrsebago, thanks for the trip report. It sound like you had a much easier time locating the true summit and jar than I did. Pus, since visiting Long back in June, I've been feeling bad about not being able to re-hang the canister. Thanks for putting it back up before guilt drove me to return to this peak. Finally, has anyone signed in during the interim?

Mark, I did these two as a bushwack pre-trail back in 1993 on hot, hot July day, damn long wack! We approached them pretty much as you did. Still remember being amazed by the huge cairn and views on the south summit of Puzzle.

Mark, it sounds like you had an easier time finding the jar on Long than me. I went at it from the height of the land and although it wasn't a long distance away, it was "scrappy" :D

I really enjoyed that section of the Grafton Loop trail... it's a nice walk.

Onestep

Nate: you were the last signee!
Dennis: I tip my spruce-needle covered hat to you; several of these hikes are dramatically easier now than 10-20 years ago. The Travellers are another example; still a long day, but now there's a trail.