Question about shelter etiquette...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My one and only time in a shelter and I too set up my tent. It was an extremely buggy night and no one else was around. If, however, others had arrived, I would have immediately taken down the tent.

To my knowledge, and I'll take the lumps for saying it, setting up a tent in a lean-to in the Daks is a big no-no. I believe I've even seen it posted on the little notices the DEC leaves in the shelters. My group of 4 came upon a family taking up an entire shelter with their (very nice Hilleberg) 4 man tent on our last trip. (This was also the same trip where one dude tried to take over an entire 8 person shelter with his gear and his dog. We weren't about to walk away from that place.)

jbrown said:
To my knowledge, and I'll take the lumps for saying it

No lumps to be had. Those are the rules. I believe I've also seen it in my High Peaks guidebook.

I've come across a tent in a lean-to once in late November and the people inside were fast asleep. We just kept going since it was still early (for us). Had we had to have stopped, I would have said something for sure.

This was discussed in a previous thread recently. I believe the concensus was to throw some gorp into the lean-to and then wish them a good night. :p

-Shayne

I have setup a tent in the shelter before, at Baldpate. It was raining and blowing so hard the front of the shelter was wet, and it was about 40°. There was no one else around so I didn't mind. In the spring and summer I do put up my Bug Hut, but it's only slightly larger than a sleeping pad and it's never been an issue.

I have hiked into shelters before at 2AM, mostly in the winter, and most of the time found plenty of space as the winter people seem to have more etiquette. If there is no room I usually just plant myself ouside next to the shelter, making as little noise as possible. I have also stayed in them when it was overlapping pads, which isn't a problem for me. Part of sleeping in the shelter is to put up with the snorers, farters, grinders, mice, and people rolling over all night. If you don't want to put up with it, you should probably sleep somewhere else.

My brother and another friend snore, which is why I usually bring ear plugs, often quite a few pairs which I hand out. 10 packages of them, in their containers, weigh 0.3 ounces, so they don't weigh a lot.