Question for Mt. Liberty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
A few years ago I parked at the Basin (northbound) and hiked down the bike path to a herd path to Liberty Spring Trail then Franconia Ridge Trail. For whatever reason, I cannot recall the distance to the left you need to take for the herd path. Also, has this trail been broken out so it is recognizeable? What is the savings in distance if you parked in the Flume parking lot (if that is actually plwed). Thanks

It's 0.3 mi to the logging road, and I think there was a report earlier this year that it was broken out. I don't recall the total distance savings, but want to say something of order one mile round trip, probably a bit less.

As of last week, the Flume parking lot was plowed to a slippery base. I didn't stop in at the AT parking at the end of 3.

Thanks, 0.3 does sound familiar. Any idea of mileage on herd path to Liberty Springs junction? Trying to calculate total mileage to summit. Thanks

Here is the earlier thread. The logging road down from the turn on LST is almost straight down the fall line (not continuing along the angle of the trail). Should be able to pull a distance off a map. From the AMC map, it looks like maybe 0.3-0.4.