Question Re: Cliff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlhoward

Reaction score
Coming from Marshall (the west) and intending to climb Cliff, can one climb it from the West (easily done in winter straight across Flowed Land)? If so, does not go around FL to the north or the south? Are there cairns to look for for, etc?
Thanks.

I have done Marshall and Redfield on the same day. You would be better off just sticking to the main trails and herd paths. After Marshall you would head towards Lake Colden, cross the dam and head up the trail towards the Uphill Brook lean-to. Once at the lean-to the trail for Cliff and Redfield starts directly on the right hand side of the main trail. The trail splits not far from the main trail and the trail to the right heads toward Cliff.

Cliff

It can be pretty thick with blowndown on the approach from the Flow Lands. If you attempt this I would suggest going further south, once around the water.

Yeah, the general consensus is that while it can be done from Flowed Lands, if it's not winter and there isn't a stable snowpack that will allow you to stay high above the blowdown, it's quickest to stick to the trails.

I have been told that there is a herd path around the north shore of Flowed Lands to the east shore, but that you have to start hiking down from Lake Colden to find it.