questions from a new member

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insight

Reaction score
lO-'kA-sh&n : a position or site occupied or avail
hi folks.. been using this site for trail condition reports for a couple years now, and only discovered tonight that there's forums as well! *gasp*

anyway.. me and a friend are planning a 1-week trip up to the Adirondacks (the area just west of Mt Marcy, mostly) and I have a quick question.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for sleeping bag modifications. I read a while back that sewing one of those thin foil-like emergency blankets to the exterior of a simple light fleece bag provices quite a bit of extra protection from the cold.. is there any truth to this? I have both (cheap but moderately warm $20 fleece bag, and emergency blanket), and would love to know how well it works. any other suggestions?

also, regarding the same topic.. has anyone tested either of these bags?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=129749

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97106

I have a pretty decent tolerance to cold, combined with my body just not feeling as cold as other people seem to get, so I'll be more than happy saving a few dollars and a couple ounces (the BULK of most bags bothers me more than the weight, actually) if it means I'm slightly uncomfortable on a 35-50 degree night (average low for 2nd week in june is ~47 at lake placid).. these bags seem like a good tradeoff in value, bulk/weight, and mayyybe protection from the cold... though the 50 degree rating for the first one isn't very encouraging.. also, the only reviews I've seen say it might be a bit small for those under 5' 8" and 175 pounds.. I'm just 1/2 inch under 5' 8", and 160 pounds.. that probably won't be an issue for me..

thanks!

You would want to put the emergency blanket barrier as close to you as possible, and just use the fleece outside of that for additional insulation.

I had to do this at marcy Dam in March when the temps unexpectedly dipped into the single digits at night and my gear wasn't rated that low. Slept like a baby :).

I wouldn't buy either of those bags. Get a decent 20-35 degree bag for three seasons (bring the fleece instead on warmer nights, and on colder nights bring it to use as a liner).

It sounds like you're on a budget. Check eBay for deals :).

Last edited:
Hey insight,

I looked at those bags from the Sportsman's Guide too, and was deterred by the length also. I'm 6'1" 185 lb and like to have a little room to wiggle my toes. If my budget allowed me to spend $300 on a sleeping bag I wouldn't have much of a problem finding a lightweight sleeping bag that packs small, but, alas that is not the case.
Here's the one I ended up getting:
Lafuma Patrol Light

It's kind of a narrow cut, but is long and has a hood with drawstring and a full length zipper. I'm actually thinking of lightening it up even more by removing the insulation in the bottom section. (Compressed insulation = useless insulation anyway...)

Anyway, just my $.02.

Good luck!

josh

Buy one of those bags.

I have one of those bags from SG guide. They are great for the money. Mine keeps me warm down to about 40 degrees with a base layer and my bivy. Don't be a gear snob. It sounds like money is tight for you. that's why i got those bags, and I've been pleasantly suprised. It's not fair to compare them to more expensive bags. BUt if you need something cheap that works, they have my recommendation. And if you are not satisfied, send it back. SG is great about refunds. Oh, and the mil style one is the same as the grey one except for the color.

North Face Windstorm

Try The North Face Windstorm , if you are looking for something light and cheap. I've had one for several years now, and I love it. It weighs in at 2 lbs, and stuffs down to the size of a football. The rating is a little optimistic, but it's still more than adequate for summer trips.

It's worth it to drop a few extra bucks on a sleeping bag if need be. Nothing is going to make or break a trip more than your sleeping bag.

Ok, I think I might save the emergency blanket for an emergency heh.. Something about spending a week sleeping against a piece of metalic foil suddenly doesn't sound very appealing regardless of how much money/weight is saved. ;)

I'm really absolutely torn about what bag to get, especially now that you guys have posted more decent/cheap bags.. gee, thanks! ;)

Yep, I'm definitely on a budget. 24 y/o, but still in college, with the occasional freelance project for extra money. Here's my rundown:

Ultralight
RATING: 50 (not so good)
COMPRESSION: 11"x5" (very good)
WEIGHT: 21 oz (also good, but expected with the not-so-good rating)
PRICE: $29.97 (pretty decent)

Lafuma Patrol Light
RATING: 42 (sweet)
COMPRESSION: 14"x7" listed (good, but this is no worse than the Ultralight since I prefer to strap my bag at the bottom of my external frame pack (yes, I said external frame) - plenty of room, as long as the bag is no bulkier than this compressed)
WEIGHT: 39oz (almost double the Ultralight!)
PRICE: $29.00 (good considering the rating/compression)

North Face Wind Storm
RATING: 40-50 (based on all the reviews I've read)
COMPRESSION: 7.5"x15" (decent)
WEIGHT: 32oz (again, a bit on the heavier side)
PRICE: $59.97 @ fogdog (I wouldn't mind spending that much if the rating was accurate)

Now I think I'm leaning toward the Lafuma Patrol Light.. a 42 rating should be more than enough to get me comfortably through even a colder Adirondack night in late spring. The price is the same as the Ultralight, and I don't mind the extra compression size....but almost double the weight.. ack, that's where I'm being discouraged.

Well, thanks for the suggestions guys! If you have any more, feel free! I think I will take stoopid's suggestion and check ebay. ;)
I don't think I'd gear-snob even if I had the money to do so heheh.. I'm a pretty simple guy. All I'm looking for is a cheap way to sleep through the night, with a preference for a good compressibility/weight ratio. I can definitely do without all the fancy bells and whistles that the more expensive bags have. :)

Ken999 said:

ohhhhh, that looks like a winner!

3-season equipment is more than enough for me, so the 20 is more than I'll likely ever need.. 3lbs, 3 ounces, though? I suppose I could live with that. After all, I'm still using a less-than-ideal external frame, as I mentioned. :)

The ONLY thing I'm not too thrilled with is the mummy style.. I guess I prefer more of the oldschool stuff, as I like the rectangular bags that roll up (as oppose to smush up) so I can strap them to the bottom of my frame.. unless the stuff sack has straps that allow it to be easily attached to the frame in the same manner I would a rolled-up bag, it might be a problem since I usually use the bottom compartment of the pack for food, and a squarish/round bag is harder to strap up.

Thanks! I think I'll probably just order this one over the weekend and deal with it. :)

EDIT:
Nevermind.. on a second look, I see that the stuff size is 17"x8".. While that's a bit on the wide side, it's no narrower than the fleece bag I've been using.. and at only 8" thick, the proportions are definitely good enough to strap to the bottom part of the frame as I want. PERFECT! Thanks so much! I'm probably going to order it tomorrow.

Last edited:
North Face Wind Storm

I have to agree on what a great deal the Windstorm is. I picked up mine a year and a half ago at STP for $69 as my cheap late srping/summer/early fall wet weather bag - I was especially intersted in it as I wanted a cheap synth bag to take to Alaska for 2 weeks as I have only down bags.

I have used this bag at least 20-25 nights now and I absolutely love it. It is one of their cheaper designs - Base Camp Series, but it is Polarguard 3D and it packs very small and weighs about 2-1/4 pounds. I was sure that I'd only get a year out of the synth before it started to lose loft, but it was fine this spring.

I am a warm sleeper and had it to 26-28f this pst April with just a base layer on, in a windy shelter and was fine, though I did have to snug it up around my head, which I hate doing with any bag.

Good luck

heavy

I think 3 lbs. is very heavy for a summer or three season bag. Heck, some zero bags are 3 lbs. Just my 2 cents, but I watch my pack weight obsessively due to my bads kneees and back, so HYOH!

Capoken- I don't know about you but I'd be better off worrying about losing ten lbs. rather than stressing out over a 1 lb. difference in sleeping bags...besides where can you find a down bag for that price?

If I lost ten pounds, I'd look ill. I try not to carry too much pudge, it goes with the whole ultraligt philo.

Solid advice on the North Face and Campmor. Good value. Bought a couple of Marmot bags from them a while ago. Was in Maine last week with 20 and 15 degree bags and 34 degree temp. It was good to have the right tools.

And touche on the losing 10 lbs vs worrying about the 2.5 vs 3 lb bag. IMO the cost of down is not generally justified except for long, severe and/or ultralight endeavors. At that getting wet thing is a pain with down.