Raingear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
llbean gore tex jacket

i recommend highly llbean outerwear. come to think of it, im expecting a nice used one to be sent to me in the mail any time now...

After talking with several folks, I just bought the Marmot Precip. My understanding is that the current 2005 model is slightly better than its predecessors. My understanding is that they predecessors also wet out after a period of time.

When my wife's and my three year old Precips wet out, a toss in the dryer restores it. Recently though, nothing worked except a good cleaning and Revive-X treatment.

Of all the raingear I've owned (Helly-Hansen, Red Ledge, pre-System III EMS), the Precip DWR lasted the longest.

I too have the Precip jacket and pants. I've had the jacket for about 4 years. Last year the inner membrane started to wear out. If I hold my jacket up to the light I can see many weak spots near the base of the hood and some up higher on the hood. I repaired these spots with some nylon tape. I've had to re-waterproof my jacket once during the 4 years I've owned it. This jacket does have a tendency to wet out in heavy rains. I would recommend this jacket because it's a great value at under $100. And if you look around you can easily find one for $70. Nice features in a lightweight package.

I'm actually going to be ordering a Rainshield jacket/pants combo. Under $50 for both, super light and very breathable. The only draw back will be durability. I'm willing to roll the dice though with such an affordable price.

Last edited:
What temperature do you set for the dryer (low,med,hot)? Does it matter?

I just turn the dial to the setting that we use for everything. (According to her, I don't have good laundry skills). I'd guess it's medium, maybe low-hot.

To all of the Marmot Precip owners...how is this product for wind protection? Could you handle 40MPH wind and rain in the Presidentials?

Originally posted by Puck
Could you handle 40MPH wind and rain in the Presidentials?
Having both a Precip and a Bean gore-tex XCR shell, I prefer to use the Bean for windier conditions, skiing, etc, and the Precip for three seasons conditions (less wind/rain). My thinking is the the heavier shell keeps the layers underneath from compressing and chilling me.

I have used the Precep on Mt. Wash in about 55-65MPH wind and fog, but it was August and I was not thinking ahead when I packed. It worked fine, though the fabric was snapping like a bullwhip as were my pack straps (ouch).

I use my precip as a windcoat on summits also and it keeps me dry in driving rain, that said keep in my mind there is no thermal value so if the temp. is low,the combination of heavy wind and rain will more than likely leave you chilled.