re Saddleback, Basin and Haystack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the W face of Saddleback was difficult, but then again I climbed it years ago solo, wearing sneakers, before I'd done more than a half-dozen or so high peaks or was at all seasoned as a hiker. I have a feeling that it's not really all that hard given decent footwear and a little experience with some of the steeper mountains that are out there.

For what it's worth I would be inclined to do it as an ascent the first time, but if you're generally experienced or prepared or with a friend who is either experienced or prepared, then the direction probably won't matter all that much.

Di I went down and up Saddleback going out to Basin and back to gothics and I would advise going up.
My problem was short legs there was one area where I had to drop down from a ledge becauase my daycpack got stuck on the rock and I could not pull myself back up becauase of the snag. I was not comfortable dropping down to a landing that fell away from the face with a couple of hundred feet in front of that. going up is easier to lean into the face.

As far as a day hike I don't think you or the kids will have a problem.
I passed 2-3 groups making a loop from the Garden over Haystack and back on the N side of Saddleback
Al

Labor day

Just did that range on Labor day, we went from Panther gorge to Ausable lake, up Sawteeth, Gothics,Saddleback but unfortunantly on the way up Basin I slipped and dislocated my shoulder.Luckily I was able to pop it back in but night and the rain had come so we spent the night on top of basin under a tarp.Next day one of my friends and I went out to the garden figuring that doing Haystack and Marcy would be tough with my shoulder and the other 2 of our group finished the trip. What a day,about 13 miles, 4 peaks, 5000' of elevation, dislocated shoulder, night on Basin in the rain, all with full backpacks, GOOODD I love to hike :D Oh,ya i would think its a very doable day hike, although a long day. My friends that continued said the old campsite was there and functional(this was where we had planned to spend the night)The views were awesome in the direction we went but I am sure they were great the other way to. Have fun and no matter how you do it, I am sure you will love it, Mike D.

Last edited: